Poll: Do you agree with the Facist like ability to censor everything we write in AL?
Sign me up General!
Free speech is an inalienable human right
[Show Results]

2008.Jan.10, 01:41 PM

Well if you want to take up that fight, you better talk with Zenith Smile

I just help enforce her and Err's rules, and I quite like how the forum is nowadays.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2008.Jan.10, 02:02 PM

what's a "facist?"
2008.Jan.10, 02:07 PM

benfrankly Wrote:what's a "facist?"

Biggrin
2008.Jan.10, 02:08 PM

I agree with Neo-Vorenus on this topic(few others but right now we play nice).

There are a few things that I would like to discuss about the moderations that have been going on.

1) Yes threads get derailed from their original concept and turn into other conversation, but that is the nature of human thought. Kinda like brainstorming. One thought leads to another and it ends up being stream of consciencenous(sp?) but that to me is ok. They are just conversations and the interactions of the forums add another, more human dimension to this game. I do not want to lose that.

2) Deleting entire threads i believe is a harsh action to be taken by any moderator and should be used sparingly and with the utmost disgression. I do not want you to think I am getting up here on the soapbox just to fight for the freedom of everything...the concept of the deletion of threads is what made me bring out the fascist analogy. When a moderator(person with extreme authority i.e dictator) doesnt like a thread they make it disappear. Same thing that happened in extremist situations in our own history. The person with authority doesnt like what is being said and in cases their voices are silenced the hard way. Do not delete threads, lock them in some cases and edit certain antagonistic/racist/sexist posts. Things were said, and they should be public information that they were said.

3) We are a community here in AL; now what kind of community we are seems to be in the eye of the beholder. In my humble opinion, a game about stealing, pvp combat, brutalization, drugs and gang wars should not be on a high horse preaching the good word of "can't we all just get along." There should be a margin for devience and boisterousness. Im not saying go do whatever you want, more along the lines of let people do their own thing and pay their own consequences for their actions.

4) These forums are more unique than any other that I have been a part of. Why do you ask? The game mechanics that Zen has so graciously set forth for us provide a self policing mechanism that no other Forum can offer. Especially in online gaming threads people go at each other for many reason; AL people can actually do something about what is said...not just reply to the post with useless "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. Here, if his/hers IS actually bigger than yours than you watch what you say or pay the consequences.

I have rarely ever been one to stir the pot; but this time I felt like making my opinion be heard. Sorry if anyone doesnt like it, or sorry if you dont like that other people do like it. Just dont go moderate this thread because it is a legitimate discussion on the direction of our Forums.

~End Rant
2008.Jan.10, 02:10 PM

yeah like anyone is gonna read that whole thing.

thanks Scorp
2008.Jan.10, 02:13 PM

Quote:Things were said, and they should be public information that they were said.

this is a very good point, locking a thread will leave a concrete example that people can refer to when wondering what is "over the line dude"
2008.Jan.10, 02:14 PM

you read it.

just like everyone who opens this thread will.

I just wanted to get my point across a little more thoroughly because SantaMod asked me explicitly. Feels better now that I got that out for some reason
2008.Jan.10, 02:19 PM

Thanks, that was a nice post Smile I understand a lot better now how you think. Personally I like the forums when it's more spicy, people having a go at each other, ranting and whining over hospitalizations, even been there myself utterly ticked off cause of constant hosp'ing.

Reason why I lock threads is mostly because people make a point out of being posting silly posts and it's so tiresome splitting the rubbish posts from the thread. If we had some sort of karma system I feel the rules could be tons more looser since if people misbehaved in a bad manner they would lose karma, and if they lost enough karma they lose the privilege of posting for a certain time.

But since things are as they are we have to step in at any given time. Your best shot is to fight for the thread you feel have been treated unfairly, and maybe the moderator locking it or Zenith can rectify the situation. Cause taking up the struggle in a thread like this seems a bit futile cause you are trying to fight the entire system at once, however I do enjoy threads like this, cause people make very good posts that has valid arguments. And it's nice to see things from other perspectives.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2008.Jan.10, 02:26 PM

Quote:Godwin's Law I think it's called. Basically godwin's law is cited when someone says censorship is going a bit too far.

godwin's law actually states, basically, that as a forum thread, newsgroup posting, or somesuch (it refers specifically to online communications) extends, the likelihood of a comparison to nazism increases. so, if i were to post that a thread about how i love vegetables in the "off the wall" forum, and there were 97 pages of responses, godwin's law would dictate that, at some point in a thread with so much activity, it is far more likely to see a devolution to nazi analogies than it would be in a thread only had 3 pages of responses. each reply moves the probability of analogy to nazism closer to certain.

not to be a pain in the ass, but i thought id throw it out there for your edification. [/quote]
2008.Jan.10, 03:01 PM

Im sure that anyone that has the time and wants to do it could set up an outside message board. Said board could be accessed by AL members for the purpose of any smack talk they wanted. You could go there of your own free. You could have total freedom of speech. Careful what you wish for though.