Poll: Do you agree with the Facist like ability to censor everything we write in AL?
Sign me up General!
Free speech is an inalienable human right
[Show Results]

2008.Jan.10, 03:11 PM

Oh, lol Well I was using godwin's law in a more general sense then Wink

Due to all of the threads about the spirit of the game being locked, it was only a matter of time before a thread appeared comparing the moderation and locked threads to fascism and silencing any speech that the mods and higher ups didn't like. So with each new thread being locked, the probability of the analogy popping up increased.

A rather loose interpretation, I know, but I still likes it Smile
2008.Jan.10, 10:26 PM

If it is a thread that turns into nonsense, or the idea has run it's course it will be locked.

I do my best to [EDIT] things like offensive language or if something is taken too far.

When two gangs were fighting back and forth when ADMIN was out of town, I was editting so much, I had to end up recycling the entire threads. Calling people names or calling out their RL family is completely unacceptable.

I honestly thought there would be some forum bans for certain posters. If you want the thread to stay up, stay on topic and leave out the over-the-line language and overboard criticism of the player(s) involved.

Obviously, some people will put garbage in a thread to get it locked, we can tell who they are and why they are doing it, and those are removed, not the thread.

All mods I have worked with have blinders on, whether it is about their gang or their character, everyone has the same rights to post. And all will be modded in the same way. There are no favorites, and as you have seen in the past ADMIN has warned a thread to stay on topic before, as you have seen some mods do as well.

I agree that late December early January that people believed the mods were being oppressive, I was only dealing with the bickering the best way I knew how. As you can see now, everything is what is was before the holiday issues.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2008.Jan.10, 11:22 PM

Quote:If it is a thread that turns into nonsense, or the idea has run it's course it will be locked.

I think thats what I have a problem with. Why does one person get to decide if an idea has "run it's course". Just because a few exceptions get off topic doesn't mean an idea is no longer discussing.
2008.Jan.10, 11:37 PM

That is how the forums are setup, we are here to merely assist ADMIN in enforcing said guidelines.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2008.Jan.10, 11:38 PM

maybe it's time to adjust the guidelines
2008.Jan.10, 11:59 PM

Honetly though... Is it that serious if a thread turns to nonsense it HAS to be mod'd? We are all in a situation that MANY people would consider nonsense. Ask someone who has never played a game online what we do. They WILL consider it nonsense.

Ask the people who play on their cell phones what the "average" crowd thinks of our routine cell phone check every 35 or so minutes. I HATE explaining it to people who are nosey about my cell phone habits. "Yea im just txt'ing"

Its all relative buddies. Just let ish fly and watch the hospital stays build up. It will stop eventually. Let it run its course. Just dont go ahead and start thinking you are the forum nazi and deleting other peoples thoughts/retorts/arguments. I am fine with locking a thread...it sends a point across. The whole momentum of the post gets stopped real fast. Yes people then start to make topics that relate to the original thread...so what? Let people make clowns of themselves in front of the entire community. Those will get locked too.

Just please stop deleting entire threads. I understand that things got a little out of hand during the holidays when admins were not here...but keeps things in perspective. Many will sign on looking for a reply or just to catch up and wonder why a thread was deleted. Make a post that ends the thread if it is THAT serious and it can describe what it was that was out of line and why it was locked. Then a de-facto "line in the sand" will be drawn for all to see...and to learn from. If they dont want a thread locked...then at least they will have a concrete example of what NOT to do.

~End rant

"It was only in the sand that I saw you draw the line"
John Gutwillig
2008.Jan.11, 12:12 AM

KcCashBrigade Wrote:Its all relative buddies. Just let ish fly and watch the hospital stays build up. It will stop eventually. Let it run its course. Just dont go ahead and start thinking you are the forum nazi and deleting other peoples thoughts/retorts/arguments. I am fine with locking a thread...it sends a point across. The whole momentum of the post gets stopped real fast. Yes people then start to make topics that relate to the original thread...so what? Let people make clowns of themselves in front of the entire community. Those will get locked too.

Just please stop deleting entire threads. I understand that things got a little out of hand during the holidays when admins were not here...but keeps things in perspective. Many will sign on looking for a reply or just to catch up and wonder why a thread was deleted. Make a post that ends the thread if it is THAT serious and it can describe what it was that was out of line and why it was locked. Then a de-facto "line in the sand" will be drawn for all to see...and to learn from. If they dont want a thread locked...then at least they will have a concrete example of what NOT to do.

The problem is, is that people don't learn, they just keep starting it. Even after massive hospitalizations to send a point across. When the thread is locked, new ones are just started to keep up the antogonizing because they are upset their posts were locked. You can tell someone what NOT to do, do they listen? No, they just continue doing it because they know it really annoys and upsets others.
2008.Jan.11, 12:13 AM

"So you think you have all the evidence
So tell me what's your bottom line"

Marc 3:19
2008.Jan.11, 12:20 AM

Who says they are all deleted? Just normal reasoning says that if the offending posts that people get so worked up over is still on general forum, but in a locked thread, people will spawn new threads about it and keep going on and on about the same thing.

So we move it to a place people can't access.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2008.Jan.11, 12:20 AM

grabtindy Wrote:"So you think you have all the evidence
So tell me what's your bottom line"

Marc 3:19

Awesome quote.

I won't even start to think I know even a tenth of the facts in any of the situations. The facts are never stated ever. What is stated is the frustration and upset of everyone involved. Maybe posting the facts may resolve the upset and the posts being locked. As long as they are posted not to lash out at the people involved. The saying is "there are 2 sides to every story". Does anyone ever get the 2 sides in the forum. Not that I have yet to see. So in order to have all the evidence it needs to be released to have all the story.