Poll: Do you agree with the Facist like ability to censor everything we write in AL?
Sign me up General!
Free speech is an inalienable human right
[Show Results]

2008.Jan.10, 11:35 AM

Weapons and hits are not his only forté folks, he now looks out for the little man's ability to speak his mind. Thank Vorenus!

I will not, however, pay a 150% markup for this service... Wink
2008.Jan.10, 11:38 AM

Actually a small admission fee will be required.
2008.Jan.10, 11:46 AM

if i'm correct in what you are suggesting Mtn, i'm down.
sign me up, and i''l even be a moderator Twisted
2008.Jan.10, 12:10 PM

Druchii Wrote:Why should we shut this poll down?

Would be nice if you could point at some occasions where we have gone to far in locking/removing posts.

i would agree with you on this bro,show me some,it is not the post ,it is the players who post and cause probs throughout the game with those post,but i guess some players like the drama
2008.Jan.10, 12:14 PM

so tell me why this thread was locked:
http://www.awakenedlands.com/forums/view...php?t=4133
2008.Jan.10, 12:23 PM

When I saw the poll, I knew there was a word for it but I had to do a little bit of checking to find out what it was Razz

Godwin's Law I think it's called. Basically godwin's law is cited when someone says censorship is going a bit too far.

Free speech is protected, however... Most websites have a tos that you agree to when you log in. It is essentially a contract you're agreeing to that says you will agree to basically behave in the way that the owners of the website want you to.

Think of it this way. If you went into someone's home, said something that the homeowner didn't agree/approve of, then threw you out, you couldn't argue the first amendment (this is for all us U.S. folk Wink ) and say that your rights were violated. The owner of the home pretty much decides which behavior (and which speech) is appropriate or not. You may think it's being too strict, but it is their rules and you do kinda have to agree to them if you want to stay. So free speech primarily applies to public forums, not private ones. And this website, like most others, falls under the category of being a "private" place.

And no, I'm not on the AL pay list Razz Just helping to clarify things.
2008.Jan.10, 12:30 PM

Modsollini...

ZIIIIING!

Not only a gentleman, but also a scholar! My chair is on the ground as I type this reply I laughed so hard
2008.Jan.10, 12:47 PM

3 snaps in Z formation with an around the world & a back snap
2008.Jan.10, 01:04 PM

jiggaj Wrote:so tell me why this thread was locked:

If I'm not entirely incorrect, you got your answer in the first reply of that thread.

I like this forum a lot, people have fun and can pretty much do whatever they please. And I have to say that the Goowin's Law is quite suiting for this type of communication.

But I like the discussion about how this forum should be.

I wanna know how for the OP (original poster) thinks people should be allowed to go in cursing and in insulting other people. Would you allow harassing other players just so that you could call it free speech? If another player made a thread just to mock you, just to try and ruin your day, would you get angry at the mods for removing it?

I'm quite sure that most of the people fighting for total freedom of speech doesn't know what they are fighting for, most often they just want to fight for what they want to hear.

Whenever I lock a thread I'm open for a discussion with the OP of that thread on wether or not that thread can get unlocked again.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2008.Jan.10, 01:31 PM

Druchii Wrote:
jiggaj Wrote:so tell me why this thread was locked:

If I'm not entirely incorrect, you got your answer in the first reply of that thread.

I like this forum a lot, people have fun and can pretty much do whatever they please. And I have to say that the Goowin's Law is quite suiting for this type of communication.

But I like the discussion about how this forum should be.

I wanna know how for the OP (original poster) thinks people should be allowed to go in cursing and in insulting other people. Would you allow harassing other players just so that you could call it free speech? If another player made a thread just to mock you, just to try and ruin your day, would you get angry at the mods for removing it?

I'm quite sure that most of the people fighting for total freedom of speech doesn't know what they are fighting for, most often they just want to fight for what they want to hear.

Whenever I lock a thread I'm open for a discussion with the OP of that thread on wether or not that thread can get unlocked again.

maybe the original "SOTG" thread did get off-topic, it could have been handled differently. As i stated, remove the offensive posts, don't delete a 120 post thread for 1 or 2 off topic posts. There was a lot of valuable discussion in that thread. As far as the 2nd SOTG thread, that one did not go off topic @ all, seems as it was locked to send a message. What message, i don't know.
I am all for absolute free speech, and yes i know what it entails. I am an adult and can defend myself if attacked. I understand that some "children" may get upset and take it way too seriously. Honestly though, how many peopl under the age of 21 or so do we have on this game? I can't imagine there are a lot. This is a text based game, those kids are playing their Wii's, and PS3's.