Elders Bashing
2007.Jan.05, 10:53 AM

brythompson Wrote:oh my god--- i think you really need to take a step back and look at what you are saying, this is a game and if it is haveing such an effect on you that it is spilling in to real life then i think you need to go out and get something else to do.

I play this game for one reason, to have fun, if it ever got to the point that i was writing posts like that then i would really turn my computer off and leave it alone until i got the real priorities in my life sorted out.

This is a game and that is what everyone is doing - playing.

So what we attacked you

So what you have attacked everyone else

so what there may be only one gang left at the end of this

so what people are upset

There are people dying everyday of hunger, the world is warming up, my cat died yesterday, i have a sore head from too much wine last night, these are the things i worry about not an internet game that was made for peoples enjoyment.

Get over it and just play the game

Post of the Year!
2007.Jan.05, 10:58 AM

'Get over it and just play the game'

Umm... that's kinda like having a game of poker when one of your opponents has all the aces, kings, queens and jacks tucked up their sleeve. Pointless, boring, and not much fun.

I'd love to 'get over it and just play the game' but when you're permanently in hospital with LONG stretches, that can't be bought off by one or two stim packs, it's kinda not possible. I have to be 100% active on every key tic to keep myself out of hospital for more than a second.

Quite why I'm bothering to say this though, I'm not sure. Since it's quite clear if the Elders are having fun, everyone else's enjoyment is quite immaterial.
2007.Jan.05, 01:22 PM

yech its great fun 200 minuts in hospital then i have one minute of freedom when i can spend ap and attack random targets and then anather 100 minuts in hospita. Great fun indeed
2007.Jan.05, 01:37 PM

I think we can all agree that people get attached to things they have worked hard at to achieve. The people posting in this thread have worked very hard for quite some time to get where they are now.

Not everyone can pour hundreds of hours into something and just say "well that's just how it is" when something happens they do not like. Believe me, I've spent countless hours trying to make Awakened Lands fun for as many people as possible, but it's still causing me stress when issues like this come up.

I'm not sure how this happened, but we have the most civil criminals on the internet here. When someone attacks someone while they are online, there is a complaint. If someone gets surpassed by a younger account in the Pantheon, questions of cheating are sent to me.

This game is about competition. It's about attacking others and waging gang wars. It's about commiting crimes to better yourself. It's all the chaotic and immoral things we all know and love (did I just type that??).

But it's also about fun and being a community.

I don't know how many times I am going to have to deal with "the elders are too strong I quit" complaints, but it has definitely cost the community several good people. I have on several occasions asked them to curb their attacks for the betterment of the game, and they have always obliged with a few grumbles added in. But asking them to stop over and over again will just lead to them quitting, and another strong gang taking their place... and I don't think this new top-dog will be as respectful to the game as The Elders are.

Yes, The Elders might upset people, but they have also helped out as well (remember the gang tournament they held... that was their own personal donations at work).

I am not sure how to solve this problem, since there will always be a stronger gang beating on a weaker gang. Adding hitmen to help anyone beat a stronger opponent will just make donations even more important I feel, and lead to complaints about how people can't compete with someone else's wallet.

Perhaps gang wars should be completely changed, making it more of a group-type gang crime selection instead of the "beat them till they are deleted" affair. I know when things are given to players there is praise, but when things are taken away people threaten to quit... and deleting a gang is just another reason to get upset.

Contructive criticism is appreciated in response to this, but let's try to keep the "hey I just one-upped you" retorts out please. I am looking for solutions.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2007.Jan.05, 01:54 PM

i Know this has been said somewhere but how about something along the lines of online gang hits -

If 3 members of gang a are on line they can plan to attack the 2 members of gang b.

Gang A may be lvls 18,19,20 and the gang B members could be 24, 25. Gang A would have the advantage as there lvls add up to more then Gang B at that time.

This would help smaller gangs get there own back on the stronger gangs.

Just my little thought, and thanks again Zen for the best game on the net.
2007.Jan.05, 01:56 PM

I just want something to stop a gang declaring on a significantly weaker gang over and over. a limit on time/respect loss due to the cops catching wind would be nice too. I like the idea of a gang crime based war issue. essentially I am upset at having my privelagbe of playing the game taken away for extended periods of time by stronger players. I know its hard to implement something that would fix this, I'm just upset, because I enjoy playing and wouldnt mind a friendly competition with the elders having been set up which would have proved more fun all round as our gang would have gone through the training period, trying to get as good as possible for the competition and then the competition itself with no thoughts of being disbanded looming over our heads. I don't think its right for one player to be able to essentially stop another player from being able to play for days on end. This being said, if I had the ability to, at this point I am so upset that I would use this tactic. however, doing this because my gangmates were attacked offline would never have entered my mind. but then I see myself as somewhat respectful of other people and what my actions do to them.
2007.Jan.05, 02:32 PM

so, this may not work in all cases as I was thinking of something that would make this specific war more even, but I think it would. If you gave each gang an item that would make one person in that gang un-attackable It would even out more gang wars I think. my reasoning is that most gang wars are decided by who has the best single player. in this case if chris wasnt there, sarge and I are fairly equal but thats not always the case. anyways, if each team had one play that was not attackable that would help online time contribute more to who wins a gang war. My thought was this, if you have two gangs with a ringer (usually a gang has one but its not always by level as chris is obviously a ringer for the elders) and gang A's ringer is stronger than gang B's ringer, gang A will win assuming they aren't completely innactive. if the ringers are un-attackable, the war would be more influenced by online time. personally I think it might work, its obviously not realistic but hey, its a game. if anyone has any opinions on this, whether they think it would work and why, likes, dislikes etc. please post.
2007.Jan.05, 02:43 PM

So taking out the only person you can not beat is your answer to making it fair???? This doesn't make sense to me.
2007.Jan.05, 03:03 PM

How about during gang wars, putting a % of being caught in combat per 24 hour period when attacking an individual. Each time you attack that person the % gets higher until unless you can take them out in 1 or 2 shots, your gonna get busted. This would reduce the amount of times someone is in the hospital and be harder to destroy a gang.

Realistically, if a hospital sees someone coming in numerous times, cops will be called and an investigation would happen. They would start watching the person to see what's happening.

If God is our father, you thought, then Satan must be our cousin
2007.Jan.05, 03:24 PM

Also you could get a defence bonus for every 24 hr of going into the hospital. The longer your stay in the hospital more bonus you get. In that way you can obtain a slight surprise the next attack. This will also help reduce the chase of people using the long term hosipital stays.

If God is our father, you thought, then Satan must be our cousin
Thread Closed