Game Addition : Skills
2008.Apr.10, 05:29 PM

hydro9226 Wrote:
w00k Wrote:Do you get more skill development points per skill train the higher your intel is, like how endurance works for training stats?
That would also be logic, good question. I'm curious now...

not sure if that would be logical, since battle stats are not capped at one's endurance level...
2008.Apr.10, 05:33 PM

saint Wrote:so the level 1s have the advantage of starting out with these skills and all the classes, but the veterans of the game get a late start to this and no new classes? their only advantage is they may have donated to up their int already (which a level 1 can still do anyways btw)

Yes the level 1's start at the same level, but you also already have the classes done before them as well as having other stats higher. This happens when games change, I would think you would view it as a chance to get ahead of a everyone again, somewhere new to improve and see changes. And what exactly would make it fair...some sort of multiplier that takes in level?
2008.Apr.10, 05:48 PM

Loki Wrote:
hydro9226 Wrote:
w00k Wrote:Do you get more skill development points per skill train the higher your intel is, like how endurance works for training stats?
That would also be logic, good question. I'm curious now...

not sure if that would be logical, since battle stats are not capped at one's endurance level...
The strongest are rarely those who can last the longer, unlike the smart ones who always end up with the best results. lol
2008.Apr.10, 06:12 PM

what does strength have to do with this conversation?
2008.Apr.10, 06:13 PM

saint Wrote:so the level 1s have the advantage of starting out with these skills and all the classes, but the veterans of the game get a late start to this and no new classes? their only advantage is they may have donated to up their int already (which a level 1 can still do anyways btw)

If you feel you are getting the short end of the stick for being a veteran I apologize.

If you already finish all your classes, you have a minimum of a 7 intelligence. I feel that's a pretty significant head start. You might have to start from the same point as everyone else with the new skills system, but it's not like you have to give up what you've earned from already finished classes.

w00k Wrote:Do you have to pick just one skill or can you train multiple skills?

Do you get more skill development points per skill train the higher your intel lvl is, like how endurance works for training stats?

You can focus on one skill or spread your daily study hours among the available skills. My guess is most people will focus on one at a time however, since you don't see any game benefits until you pass a test.

As for gaining more skill development points per train for a high intelligence, this is a very good idea. Currently you gain more points similar to how careers work; the higher your rank is the more career points you earn per hour worked. I think for the time being we will stick with the current setup and see how it goes.

Fallout Wrote:Will some weapon skills be harder to study for than others?. For example can one study for pistol a bit quicker than say a rifle?.

For simplicity we stuck with equal training speeds for all skills. One reason we had to rewrite things was because our first version of skills got overly complicated and probably would have needed a book to explain everything.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Apr.10, 06:32 PM

Loki Wrote:what does strength have to do with this conversation?
By strongest, I meant all stats together.

You can train and train and train to become better, stronger or more accurate (call it whatever you want) but your stamina level doesn't limit you, it just makes you work longer to get there.

While your intelligence level does limit you to how much you can learn.
2008.Apr.10, 06:42 PM

Hence the cap on skill level. Gotcha.

So intel's benefit is higher potential in the skills department. I don't think that it should *also* boost skill per train (unless endurance allows us to study for more hours) Mrgreen
2008.Apr.10, 06:52 PM

Fallout Wrote:Will some weapon skills be harder to study for than others?. For example can one study for pistol a bit quicker than say a rifle?.

Zenith Wrote:For simplicity we stuck with equal training speeds for all skills. One reason we had to rewrite things was because our first version of skills got overly complicated and probably would have needed a book to explain everything.

Well the flaw I see with that is there is probably little reason for players, who prefer ranged weapons to study anything but shotgun under the current environment. It's the obvious choice for
players with low endurance in the form of the T-450 while catering for the higher end players and the SB-1 (until someone hits lvl 60 anyway)

Those who prefer melee weapons have a few more choices in the form of axes, whips and the cestus.
2008.Apr.10, 06:58 PM
Re: Game Addition : Skills
Fallout Wrote:Well the flaw I see with that is there is probably little reason for players, who prefer ranged weapons to study anything but shotgun under the current environment. It's the obvious choice for
players with low endurance in the form of the T-450 while catering for the higher end players and the SB-1 (until someone hits lvl 60 anyway)

Not sure you read my entire first post, but I am actually quoting myself...

zenith Wrote:On a side-note concerning the new skills system and current weapons. Even though the newest weapons all seem to be shotguns and axes, there will be other weapons hitting the market to incorporate the new skills. So for those starting off with pistols and then finding out there are few good pistols at the higher levels of the game, your time invested in a weapon skill won't be a waste.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Apr.10, 07:03 PM

So you're saying there could be a new group of weapons on the market which are of significantly higher performance than the T-450 without the END requirements of the SB-1 or Ares Dual Pistols?