Game Addition : Skills
2008.Apr.10, 07:05 PM

grabtindy Wrote:So you're saying there could be a new group of weapons on the market which are of significantly higher performance than the T-450 without the END requirements of the SB-1 or Ares Dual Pistols?
there's been, a few but still 1 or 2, weapons that required intel instead of endurance.

Or maybe it will only have battle stats reqs but of all 4 or very very high, who knows.
2008.Apr.10, 07:06 PM

That was gonna be my question, but what i dont want to do is waste valuable time training one skill for one ranged weapon and find out a better ranged one comes out on the market...imo, the stats should determine the relative strength of each weapon and then the skill level should allow you to better yourself with that weapon.

Simply put, if i train shotguns skills and the newest weapon is a pistol with more killing potential then i have wasted my time. If you are gonna do this, I would suggest each weapon having slight differences in stat requirements but nearly equal in strength based on the relative power level of the player who can use them.

doh
2008.Apr.10, 07:10 PM

Forgive me on this, but it seems this is another donator based idea since the only way to raise your INT after the courses is just like endurance, credits. How will this help non-donators in the game since endurance and intelligence we already know can not be gained very easily in careers?

***Women are like phones: They like to be held, talked to, and touched often. But push the wrong button and your arse will be disconnected!***

**The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.**
2008.Apr.10, 07:21 PM

Dammit I have no idea how I missed that part of the post. My apologies.

I look forward to trying these new skills out.
2008.Apr.10, 07:42 PM

Punisher Wrote:That was gonna be my question, but what i dont want to do is waste valuable time training one skill for one ranged weapon and find out a better ranged one comes out on the market...imo, the stats should determine the relative strength of each weapon and then the skill level should allow you to better yourself with that weapon.

Simply put, if i train shotguns skills and the newest weapon is a pistol with more killing potential then i have wasted my time. If you are gonna do this, I would suggest each weapon having slight differences in stat requirements but nearly equal in strength based on the relative power level of the player who can use them.

Hence why I am going to release more weapons to fill in the gaps so all skills have some sort of option. I definitely don't want people to spend a ton of time and end up feeling like they wasted it on a dead-end skill. Besides, there will be other skills out there that aren't based on weapons that will prove to be very useful in the future.

Jolabent Wrote:Forgive me on this, but it seems this is another donator based idea since the only way to raise your INT after the courses is just like endurance, credits. How will this help non-donators in the game since endurance and intelligence we already know can not be gained very easily in careers?

I think as time passes the skills system will prove to be heavily based on activity more than donations. People aren't going to advance to rank 4 in any skill by donating. It's going to take activity each day. In testing, getting to rank 7 in one skill will take on average 250 days if no hours are wasted on other skills and you only take a test with an A+ grade. In contrast, another player in the same time could get to rank 5 in one skill and rank 4 in another. Another player can get 2 rank 4s and a rank 3.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Apr.10, 07:57 PM

zenith Wrote:I definitely don't want people to spend a ton of time and end up feeling like they wasted it on a dead-end skill.

I thought about manufacturing and laughed after reading this.
2008.Apr.10, 08:38 PM

zenith Wrote:I think as time passes the skills system will prove to be heavily based on activity more than donations. People aren't going to advance to rank 4 in any skill by donating. It's going to take activity each day. In testing, getting to rank 7 in one skill will take on average 250 days if no hours are wasted on other skills and you only take a test with an A+ grade. In contrast, another player in the same time could get to rank 5 in one skill and rank 4 in another. Another player can get 2 rank 4s and a rank 3.

Although I can see the points here, if you only have the courses done though, meaning INT level 7, you can donate credits to raise your INT higher and get higher skills. To me, this is becoming more donator based as time goes on making it practically impossible to play unless you wish to invest hundreds of real dollars to be up there.

We have donate to get better stats for each refresh, donate to level endurance to get better stats, donate to buy better houses, armor, donate to credit train, fill happiness, energy and now donate to level intelligence and get better skills in the long run.

I fail to see where a non-donator benefits from playing now. I have been on both sides of the coin, donator and non-donator. As a person who only buys credits off the market now, you can not compete with people who have tons of real money to invest in this game. Activity is not the key in this scenario sadly Sad

***Women are like phones: They like to be held, talked to, and touched often. But push the wrong button and your arse will be disconnected!***

**The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.**
2008.Apr.10, 09:19 PM

I can make 50-70k $$ a day if I'm home all day, depending how many hours I sit in front of the pc/cell phone.

That's roughly, hmm, 200-300 credits I could buy. That's also 1400-2100 credits per week, granted you spend the same time everyday. That's almost a 20$ worth of credits there. Not too bad I'd say to save real money.

Of course, if a player wants to be really UP there, then he will sure need to break his piggy bank, that's just the way it is. But if he/she accepts to just be above average, then patience is what that player needs.
2008.Apr.10, 09:52 PM

My 2cents on the balance/donator issue:

I don't see how it won't be activity limited in a practical case anyway... Granted we haven't seen the progression for ourselves, but if, as Zen says, it takes roughly 250 days to get to level 7 in a skill with no advantages given for current intelligence scores (i.e. the progression is the same for all) this is really no different than the careers. You can complete all the courses in school needed to get that 7 INT in less than 250 days.

In both cases (careers and skills) there is no advantage being a donator while progressing:

1) there is a cap to the amount both can be worked per day, so the donator refresh does not come into play.
2) Neither can be gained faster due to donator status or stats
3) At least for the first 8 months, no credits are needed to advance in level. I am sure something will change before then anyway.
4) How many people currently have a career level past 7 anyway? 20? 50? with the variety of skills, several people will chose to have both knowledge and combat skills anyway.

I haven't been around as long as some, but it does appear that Zen has carefully thought out the balance aspects in a lot of areas of the game. Of course there are advantages to being a donator, but they are not universal and the game is extremely playable without being one. However, if you want to become the next Ush, Pun, Pullo, etc there is only one way to do it in less than 5 years. 99% of us can't/won't go there, but is fun to play anyway

Biggrin
2008.Apr.10, 10:02 PM

SimonAnything Wrote:
zenith Wrote:I definitely don't want people to spend a ton of time and end up feeling like they wasted it on a dead-end skill.

I thought about manufacturing and laughed after reading this.

i too laughed when you said "manufacturing will turn out good". glad i didnt take your route