Lack of upper level players to attack
2008.Jan.15, 10:48 PM

grabtindy Wrote:I am by no means a high level player, but i'd love a paradigm shift to include an increased number of online attacks. The game is a lot more competitive and, frankly, fun when you can exchange a volley of online hits. I feel like for that to happen stims need to be more affordable for all players. The opportunity cost of attacking players is usually/detrimentally high in this game. If I attacked 9/10 players within 3 levels of me online, I could expect to sacrifice either 12-36 hours of training due to retaliatory hospitalizations or $20,000 in stims if I want to avoid missing too many trains. I can only imagine that problem gets compounded when you only have a handful of players within a reasonable number of levels.

::makes reservations in the ICU::

I think you've got the idea! The thing is, that if online attacks were a common part of the game, I don't think you'd get hosped. I think you'd just get attacked back or mugged.
2008.Jan.15, 10:50 PM

Responding to Conrad:
If I attacked (mug/leave/hosp) anyone in your gang, right now, I could expect a day of hospitalizations. Really I wouldn't expect otherwise, if someone hit me and it cost me $5,000 in stims to get out and play the game, I'd tell my gang mates to hit him too.
2008.Jan.15, 10:53 PM

Conrad1103 Wrote:for those that war... how about more online attacks (*not hospitolizations*)

Hospitalizations are still going to happen. If you attack a gang that is stronger than yours in PVP Combat, most likely the weaker gang will be hosped. Hospitalizations are used to express anger, while plain old attacks would basically just be for experience.
2008.Jan.15, 11:03 PM

OK, while i agree there's Fn few ppl out there for me to attack i'm not entirely sure i want to promote online attacks.

Its gotten to the point where i only wait 18 mins. I dont have time to wait longer, if i do someone else WILL get you and then where am i?

The saddest part is i'm getting just as bad tick hunting offlines as some other players and I dont think the bulk of AL members realize just how few targets we have.

Lvl 25's and under beware, if ur offline u r now fair game.

Using your Riot Axe you hit for 4724 points of damage. XXX resists 102 for a total of 4622 damage.

steve says
chesticles?
steve says
you sure got some big chesticles, howl
2008.Jan.15, 11:10 PM

Quote:I have also tried to bring this up - even tried to start an online attacking trend.

i can confirm this
......me.................................LuciusV
[Image: 783_killing.gif]
================================================
i am all for online hits honestly, and like Mtn said it has been a trend at times. However, most of the active players tend to be higher levels and like to train accordingly. So, it's somewhat understandable that 'all out war' doesn't happen all day everyday. In those instances of peace, there certainly needs to be another option for the 30+ lvl players, maybe even for all levels to a much lesser extent.
A good story-line would involve an entire Rival Gang of NPC's, who battle Jack Mort and Co.
Another option would be to employ a sort of Gauntlet, where instead of training for stats,you spar for experience.
Or just have super cyborgs who attack at random.

Quote:You should be able to do as many attacks as your energy will allow!
Absolutely. Everyone and everything should be equal in this game.

Quote:one problem with this is that people could level too quickly if every area/district had these NPC dummies to trian on.
i don't think the thread title said anything about lower levels...

Quote:if online attacks were a common part of the game, I don't think you'd get hosped. I think you'd just get attacked back or mugged.
tell that to yer buddy there.
2008.Jan.15, 11:12 PM

I was going over on paper what it would take to open up a new type of combat system for player vs. computer opponents that doesn't involve the current NPCs.

I feel using player vs player combat mechanics for NPCs is just not an answer. NPCs are using player code, and don't evolve and grow like players. Some sort of combat method that will ALWAYS provides a challenge based on your strength is probably the best scalable solution. However, I'm not sure how it will be received since people don't attack players they think can beat them.

For example, what if some crimes resulted in you getting an option to fight cops to avoid jail time? What if some crimes were all about combat? How about busting people out of jail resulting in a fight with cops if you fail miserably? Or a gang having an option to spend gang points to "tip off the police" so they attack another gang/player the next time they log in?

I am sure people would love to be able to have cops to blast, or borgs, or virtually any type of enemy that didn't involve other players. I'll have to do some more planning so the game stays balanced and pbp-centric though. But adding this type of option could basically change the entire way the game is played.

I'm all for change, but don't want to diminish player accomplishments with our current code. It wouldn't be quite fair to see someone fight hard to reach level 30, then add something to the game that makes level 30 easy to get to.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Jan.15, 11:19 PM

how about a 'fight club' for each district?

I do like your other ideas Zenith, adds a random element besides jail-time too
2008.Jan.15, 11:20 PM

don't get me wrong. low level players should have to 'suffer' through the level gaining process. higher level players should benefit somehow from their status, no doubt.
2008.Jan.15, 11:20 PM

Quote:Lvl 25's and under beware, if ur offline u r now fair game.

Has an offline player ever not been fair game? If they're worth the xp, who cares what level they are. The fact is there aren't enough offline players at the mid-upper levels to make the game interesting unless you have some kind of obsessive compulsive issue where you get pleasure out of training every 35 minutes or some kind get sado-masochistic pleasure out of ruining 120 minutes of someone else's playing time in exchange for 120-2000 minutes for your own playing time.

::Hangs head guiltily::[/quote]
2008.Jan.15, 11:22 PM

zenith Wrote:I'm all for change, but don't want to diminish player accomplishments with our current code. It wouldn't be quite fair to see someone fight hard to reach level 30, then add something to the game that makes level 30 easy to get to.

Couldn't you put these NPC's in the Underground or the beach, thus limiting them to level 30's and above?

There are ample targets with inactives and offline players up until that point.