Gang Battle Update
2008.Feb.19, 03:36 PM
Gang Battle Update
The last few days I've been in full-coding mode for the new gang battles.

Here is what's in at the moment...

1.) A new attack option will be listed when fighting someone you are in a gang war with. This option, called Gang Battle, will be the only way gang points can be won/lost. This option also will result in 15 to 25 hospital minutes no matter how powerful or weak the opponent is. We are still trying to decide whether the other attack options are available when a gang is at war or not.

2.) Gang battles do not end unless there is a surrender or a hideout is defeated. Since others can help defeat a hideout, this should give organized groups the ability to help allies get out of a war. The previously written idea about having a hideout get depleted to 0 defense when a gang battle eliminates all gang points from an opponent has too many loopholes during testing and we feel is not a positive addition.

3.) As mentioned previously, you can't earn gang points if your opponent does not have any more left. If you are expecting 10 gang points for a fight and earn only 9, it means at that instant the gang you are battling with only had 9 points to take.

4.) Power level will be used to determine who is gaining/losing gang points and how much. Power level is determined by your actual level, your stats, your cyberware, your encumbrance, and your items. Two level 10s may have drastically different power levels.

Here is a breakdown of the gain/loss of gang points using power level.

Attacking and winning:
If attacker is 10 or more power levels greater than defender and wins = no change
If attacker is between 4 and 9 power levels greater than defender and wins = +1 gp
If attacker is between 3 power levels greater or less than the defender and wins = +3 gp
if attacker is between 4 and 9 power levels less than the defender and wins = +5gp
If attacker is 10 or more power levels less than defender and wins = +10gp

For example, if a player with a power level of 50 attacks and defeats an opponent with a power level of 59, the attacker earns 5 gang points for his gang and the opponent loses 5 gang points.

Another example, if a player with a power level of 100 attacks and defeats an opponent with a power level of 5, the attacker earns nothing and the defender loses nothing.

Attacking and losing:
If the attacker if 5 or more power levels greater than the defender and loses = -10 gp
If the attacker is between 3 and 4 power levels greater than the defender and loses = -5 gp
If the attacker is between 1 and 2 power levels greater than the defender and loses = -3 gp
If the attacker is equal or less than the defender and loses = no change

For example, if an attacker with a power level of 50 attacks an opponent with a power level of 100, no gang points are exchanged.

Another example, if an attacker with a power level of 50 attacks and loses to an opponent with a power rating of 45, the attacker's gang loses 10 gp and the other gang earns 10 gp.

Why the different gang point earning charts? With over 2 million attacks in the attack logs, only 3% of all attacks result in a loss for the attacker. So it's obvious that people tend to attack those they know they can beat. So knowing you can attack someone close to you in power level and NOT lose any gang points means you can afford to take risks to try and score a +10 gang point fight. Three guys who are easy pickings on their own for an opponent can gang up and earn 10 gang points and not lose anything.

Pending any other issues, we should go live with the new code late tonight or early tomorrow. During testing it's showing that battles are only useful when fighting opponents who are close to your strength, thus keeping these types of conflicts between similar groups. Small gangs are benefiting from less targets, but larger gangs are benefiting from hideout mastery.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Feb.19, 03:48 PM

Awesome!
2008.Feb.19, 03:58 PM

awesome

Round 1
Conrad hits g2o2d4wp for 1338 damage.
Round 2
Conrad hits g2o2d4wp for 1373 damage.
Round 4
Conrad hits g2o2d4wp for 1151 damage. g2o2d4wp sulks.
2008.Feb.19, 04:13 PM

are there going to be more options to use gang points on besides just the current hideout upgrades and getting members out of jail or the hosp?
2008.Feb.19, 04:21 PM

i guess each player will have his "power level" available for everyone to view what level he is?

Round 1
Round 2
Round 4
2008.Feb.19, 04:23 PM

yeah, we need more options

and I think the hosping code should get revised before you implement the code, even if we choose an option besides gang war attack, they should be unlimited all the time, but ESPECIALLY during a war
2008.Feb.19, 04:40 PM

alot has been said, im just gonna wait and try the new system before i make any comments lol

If I want to manufacture biological weapons with my copy of iTunes, I will, fascists. Ditch this bullshit.
6.) You hit for 1245 points of damage. **** resists 34 for a total of 1211 damage.
2008.Feb.19, 05:10 PM

this will give credence to the phrase, "lost the battle, but won the war", id imagine.

and vice versa.

Round 1
Round 2
Round 4
2008.Feb.19, 05:11 PM

Conrad1103 Wrote:i guess each player will have his "power level" available for everyone to view what level he is?

I doubt it. that will be for us to learn. we had our warm up last night and I have a guess at where your power level compares to mine.
2008.Feb.19, 05:49 PM

Power level is hidden.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin