your full of shit zen
2009.Apr.17, 12:14 PM
RE: your full of shit zen
That's a fine point..i did not look at that way.

Buzz Off
2009.Apr.17, 01:38 PM
Having to work three times as hard to counter the abilities of someone who is working three times less than you makes no sense. There is no way for someone to properly counter the offensive prowess of a a player that has only trained their primary offensive skill...
2009.Apr.17, 01:47 PM
well... @ lvl 7, it'll take you about the same amt of time if not less to get 3 defense skills than from rank 7-8.

kick the real world in the sac
2009.Apr.17, 01:50 PM
(2009.Apr.17 01:38 PM)Marlo Wrote:  Having to work three times as hard to counter the abilities of someone who is working three times less than you makes no sense.

That doesn't make sense to you? It's like me trying to catch up to Punisher or Loki. They can't work as hard because of the bottle neck effect on their stats. Wouldn't 3 times as hard neutralize the situation? As the situation is going with the offensive and defensive skills?
2009.Apr.17, 02:33 PM
Its actually nothing like that Tom.

The difference lies in the players activity. Pun and Loki dominate you due to monetary input into the game as well as dedication, time and strategy.

Skills however, give no advantage to a more active or heavily donated player. Everyone can train 8 hours a day, no more. So, as "Player A" solely trains his primary offensive skill, and "Player B" conversely trains all 3 defensive skills in order to counter "Player A", "Player A" gains an advantage by gaining rank faster in his one skill as "Player B" has to maintain 3 skills in order to stay competitive.

You see where I am going? With a regulated amount of sand, you can make one pile a lot bigger than three piles...
2009.Apr.17, 02:36 PM
If you're young, it does make much difference, seeing as 15% of 100 isn't much of a boost.

Anyway, I see what you're saying, but the statement still goes: Putting 3 times as much effort in as someone else, in this situation, neutralizes them.
2009.Apr.17, 02:43 PM
From how I understood it, you would need the rank in all three defensive skills to effectively negate a skill level in a weapon.

I gather that the rationale is this:
  1. Do they even manage to hit you? Combat Evasion would help mitigate this.
  2. OK, so they hit you, was it a critical hit? Critical Resistance would help here.
  3. OK, they hit you but it wasn't a crit, Armor Handling helps here.

So if you have 1 in all of the defensive skills, then the person with 1 in their regular skill has no advantage over you.

If you only have a rank in one or two of the three defensive skills, it's not useless or wasted, but there is still a chance for them to hit you with full effect.

And like LikeWhoa said, if you have rank 8, and I have rank 7 (hey, I can dream), it would be faster for me to pick up level 1 in all three defensive skills than it would be for me to pick up rank 8 to "catch" you.

At least that's the way I understood it from what I read before. Does any of this rambling make sense or sound reasonable?
2009.Apr.17, 02:44 PM
Does, actually. =D I like your thinking.
2009.Apr.17, 03:02 PM
as i eluded to before....no reason not to get 1 defensive skill of each category...other than gang defense skills since they dont help in pvp

i have noticed huge differenece in each level of shotty ive reached.....almost scarry what you are capable of compared to naked stats

doh
2009.Apr.18, 04:11 AM
(2009.Apr.17 09:58 AM)TommiTheTaco Wrote:  Hello, Redz.

Each rank in a weapon skill raises your damage, where, in turn, you need a rank in all 3 defensive skills to negate 1 attack skill.

Now, lets do some math. I've got 6 long-blade. -2 for your defensive skills. Leaves 4. Which is a higher number? 2 or 4? Still stronger after the deductions.

The more you have, the more things go back to normal for you, so keep working.

actually tom...if i negate 2 of your ranks altogether,,,and you negate none of mine,,,then would i be able to land more of and better hits than you?

i have 5 in axe,,,you have 7 in longblade,,,,doesnt that make us even is skills?i negate 2 of yours you negate none of mine...?????

incase you people forgot,,the emcumberance rating has dropped completely,,,due to the fact that you cant carry anymore than you have str...

that skill is completely use less now.....

i also have mails from zen stating that 1 of every defense counters 1 offense...unbalanced indeed...the entire skill code is flawed...how do you think that a weapon can outperform its (coded) max damage...its a shame really
(2009.Apr.17 02:43 PM)snorkelbill Wrote:  From how I understood it, you would need the rank in all three defensive skills to effectively negate a skill level in a weapon.

I gather that the rationale is this:
  1. Do they even manage to hit you? Combat Evasion would help mitigate this.
  2. OK, so they hit you, was it a critical hit? Critical Resistance would help here.
  3. OK, they hit you but it wasn't a crit, Armor Handling helps here.

So if you have 1 in all of the defensive skills, then the person with 1 in their regular skill has no advantage over you.

If you only have a rank in one or two of the three defensive skills, it's not useless or wasted, but there is still a chance for them to hit you with full effect.

And like LikeWhoa said, if you have rank 8, and I have rank 7 (hey, I can dream), it would be faster for me to pick up level 1 in all three defensive skills than it would be for me to pick up rank 8 to "catch" you.

At least that's the way I understood it from what I read before. Does any of this rambling make sense or sound reasonable?

yes it does make sense,,,but consider that no one has over rank 8...and i negate 2 of those completely...so now your at rank 6 in a offensive skill...yet you still land consistant 900 point hits on me.....

explain to me how that is possible with only rank 6 in any offensive skill?

the defense skills are a waste of time,,,absolutely a waste of time..the code is so fucked up with skills it isnt even funny.....randomlands my ass