intermittent problem
2009.Feb.06, 08:21 PM

Weathers Wrote:
snorkelbill Wrote:If you repeat the traceroute, do you get similar results?

Tracing route to http://www.awakenedlands.com [70.182.140.221]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 75 ms 98 ms 99 ms [xxxxxxx]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 112 ms 112 ms 114 ms 83.245.126.121
6 184 ms 184 ms 184 ms rsmtdsrj02-ge710.0.rd.oc.cox.net [68.1.0.189]
7 185 ms 185 ms 184 ms ip68-4-13-46.oc.oc.cox.net [68.4.13.46]
8 187 ms 187 ms 187 ms ip68-4-13-50.oc.oc.cox.net [68.4.13.50]
9 187 ms 187 ms 186 ms wsip-64-58-133-86.oc.oc.cox.net [64.58.133.86]
10 186 ms 186 ms 186 ms wsip-24-249-247-70.oc.oc.cox.net [24.249.247.70]

11 186 ms 185 ms 187 ms awakenedlands.com [70.182.140.221]

Don't know if that's any different or not. I'll leave that to the professionals!

It's a little different. It means you're having a crappy internet experience!

The 3 hops after your machine are either swamped with traffic or dying a slow, horrible death. Either way, your traffic is now getting lost to them on all 3 tests, rather than just 1 or 2. Basically it means you're having to retransmit a lot of your data for it to get through. Think "can you hear me now?"
2009.Feb.06, 10:19 PM

Ya I am getting the same experience no matter what website I go to today. Hit or miss.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2009.Feb.06, 10:58 PM

I am admin on some other forums and we have been having major issues with comcast. Been running trace routes proving its comcast and not the site and having to force comcast to look at the issue. A new server and host finally resolved it because comcast wouldnt/couldnt do much more.

Support your local 81
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

()()
(ºº) Biffi ----->
(__)

I own inpaces left nut. See here.
2009.Feb.06, 11:00 PM

I'm on comcast and have had no trouble at all.
2009.Feb.06, 11:38 PM

Im on comcast also, and had no issues, on this site either. But we had thousands of members with comcast issues from several states.

Support your local 81
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

()()
(ºº) Biffi ----->
(__)

I own inpaces left nut. See here.
2009.Feb.07, 01:04 AM

<theory>
I think internet routing is being altered due to power outages from bad weather. Everything is taking a different route than normal which isn't as optimal as it use to be, and it may be a little too much load for the new routers.

I connect from my house to the game server and go only through Cox machines, and I get the issues frequently. Going from an AT&T line to the server from here shows the connection is fine. So it's something in the middle somewhere.
</theory>

I've read a lot of people complaining about the same stuff on dslreports.com as well as hearing the same stuff from techs from our data center. I had the techs contact Cox to test out the routers and they say they check out fine.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2009.Feb.07, 01:50 AM

i only understand about half of the language you guys are talking, i have comcast, was mine good or bad?

my net has been running without any problems lately.
2009.Feb.07, 06:27 AM

snorkelbill Wrote:It's a little different. It means you're having a crappy internet experience!

The 3 hops after your machine are either swamped with traffic or dying a slow, horrible death. Either way, your traffic is now getting lost to them on all 3 tests, rather than just 1 or 2. Basically it means you're having to retransmit a lot of your data for it to get through. Think "can you hear me now?"

haha.

Is there anything I can do about it? Imagine you're talking to a 5 year old.

1.) You hit for 1445 points of damage. XXXXX resists 29 for a total of 1416 damage.

2009.Feb.07, 06:55 AM

Heard someone used a "\" instead of a "/".......
2009.Feb.07, 12:36 PM

Weathers Wrote:
snorkelbill Wrote:It's a little different. It means you're having a crappy internet experience!

haha.

Is there anything I can do about it? Imagine you're talking to a 5 year old.

Depends... Is this in your house on your equipment, or is this a work connection? I would guess work, based on the IP addresses.

If it's work, you can check with your administrators and ask them about it. You don't have to mention awakenedlands, I'm sure you can find some other site you would normally use, such as google.com, cnn.com or leapfrog.com.

I'm on Comcast too and have no problems reaching there. Our routes are different right up to your hop #6. From there on we share the same route, so I'd say it's got to do with the routing getting TO Cox.

I didn't check it yesterday when we were initially talking about this, but you can check the status of the different "hand offs" between the top tier internet providers at: http://www.internetpulse.net/

Right now eveything looks good with a little latency (lag) in one of them. Basically if something is hightlighted red or yellow, it's not a good thing.

Sorry for the delay in responding. This forum software hates me and usually marks nothing as read, so I have to click the "mark all posts read" button when I'm done reading everything. Think I did that and missed these posts.

@Zen: Your theory is probably pretty close to correct. If there are/were routers down then the traffic gets rerouted and could seriously congest otherwise fine routes. For the 5 year olds, think Detour off the Interstate/Freeway to a back street, then back onto the interstate. Doesn't matter how quickly the traffic is flowing on either side of the Detour, EVERYTHING gets slowed down when it gets to that detour.

@buuddha: Yours looked fine. Tiny hiccup on one of the hops, but those can naturally occur.