new combat code
2007.Feb.01, 06:01 PM

^^^
agreed. the work involved is by far the biggest downside that i can see, as this would not be even close to an overnight project.

However, In a game primarily based on combat, I do feel that combat related enhancements should be near the top of the work list, and as a result a worthwhile long-term project, but i could be alone.
2007.Feb.01, 06:44 PM

you're never alone TripsT.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2007.Feb.01, 06:55 PM

Unless your by yourself! Biggrin lol

I like the Idea, just seems like that would be a MAJOR overhaul of the combat code. How long did it take for Zen and Err to do the combat code we have now?

If God is our father, you thought, then Satan must be our cousin
2007.Feb.01, 07:42 PM

They've spent their entire lives on just the combat code... :') I'm so proud..

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2007.Feb.03, 10:29 AM

I wish you would have got that idea BEFORE I sell me broyle electric axe... good anyway though.
2007.Feb.03, 12:05 PM

I like the idea of a fight being close or ranged, but I think it should be an option that all players can set. i.e. The defender and attacker would each have a ste of tactics they use.

I also think that choosing (for example) ranged should make your ranged attacks stronger, but make you more vulnerable to a melee attack that may sneak through.

It would make for more entertaining combat reports too if we could 'see' the players move close and further away from eachother.
2007.Feb.03, 05:45 PM

lawson Wrote:I like the idea of a fight being close or ranged, but I think it should be an option that all players can set. i.e. The defender and attacker would each have a ste of tactics they use.

I also think that choosing (for example) ranged should make your ranged attacks stronger, but make you more vulnerable to a melee attack that may sneak through.

It would make for more entertaining combat reports too if we could 'see' the players move close and further away from eachother.

I agree with that, here was my reasoning. There is currently no way for a defender to choose any sort of option.... not even which equipped weapon to use, so implementing a defender option would be much tougher.

Plus if you do this, there becomes no point in either side selecting an option. Different options would cancel out. the same options picked by both sides would likewise give no advantage, and cancel out.

Furthermore, defenders in gangs already get defense bonuses.

The defender is just walking down the street, minding his own business... when, BAM.... they get jumped by the attacker, who has been planning this attack... so to me it makes sense that the attacker would have a bigger influence on dictating the flow of action??

I completely agree the combats reports would be more entertaining.