new combat code
2006.Oct.04, 08:31 PM

ah ,i did later,
my thx to zen Smile
and i agree that the new code makes res more important.
2006.Oct.05, 03:57 AM

Yea, the mouse moving around is awkward for me too, especially when using a laptop and those stupid mouse pads.

But the main concern for me is, how do you improve damage with guns? Is there a way to improve your damage without just buying another gun? Because if there isn't, bulking resistance will make you nigh on invulnerable, especially if coupled with decent armor.

Either a new stat could be introduced which affects gun damage, or str/acc could be used to increase the damage. Either way, I think combat would become useless in a few weeks otherwise, with everyone becoming pure tanks.
2006.Oct.05, 04:31 AM

In the time It takes you to train so much resistence that you take essentially no damage from a certain gun, the person who is attacking you with it will have time to train for a better gun, no one will be invulnerable because of resistence. It is more useful now, unfortunately I have lagged behind on res like a lot of people, I'll have to catch up now, but I seriously doubt res is so important as to produce a situation like you have described. although possibly if someone donates like 500 bucks and uses all the credits to buy res. Still, I'm pretty sure guns are still a viable option here.
2006.Oct.05, 11:25 AM

i kinda like it

except for when you dnt hit them and the attack button moves abit so you cant just keep clicking the same bit, if anyones gets me??!?!
2006.Oct.05, 01:00 PM

LordSkie Wrote:Is there a way to improve your damage without just buying another gun? Because if there isn't, bulking resistance will make you nigh on invulnerable, especially if coupled with decent armor.

There is, so you don't have to worry.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2006.Oct.06, 07:52 AM

peajew Wrote:i kinda like it

except for when you dnt hit them and the attack button moves abit so you cant just keep clicking the same bit, if anyones gets me??!?!

just againt some tools...can fight automatically
2006.Oct.06, 01:39 PM

low dmg bugging, having 6-7shots give 7dmg in a row with the t-250 makes it seem like a waste of money
2006.Oct.06, 01:53 PM

i like the new combat code and see it as a big improvement over the old code.

outcomes seem more varied now.

Although i was allways wary of one click combat, the discussions on this board led me to believe that was the direction we were heading.

So i guess my question is why was that idea scrapped in favor of a code which sometimes requires twice as many clicks as before?
2007.Feb.01, 04:39 PM

I earlier posted an idea i had in "Tips and Tricks". I wanted to elaborate, and have since came up with some new thoughts, so i am continuing here.

The problem I have is that it seems silly for me to be able two equip 2 different types of weapons, yet there is nothing implemented which makes this worthwhile. (In fact, given weapon costs, it is entirely not worthwhile)

My idea was to in some way add to the combat code a check at the beginning of each round as to whether combat in that round will occur at close (hand-to-hand) range, or at a distance.

If a player has both types of weapons equipped, the appropriate weapon would be automatically used based on the range of the round.

If the player has only one equipped weapon (lets say a ranged weapon), and the circumstances of that round are the opposite (close combat fighting), the damage from a successful hit will be reduced (a negative bonus could also be placed on hit% if so desired.)

Now for an attacking player, instead of choosing which weapon to attack with, at the begining of combat they choose what tactics they will attempt to utilize

There could be three options:
Stay ranged: Attacker attempts to stay away from the opponent, and not get caught up in melee attacks. A high percentage (lets say 75%) of the combat rounds are fought at a distance.

Stay close: Same as above but opposite.

Balanced attack: The attacker Doesnt try to force any specific tactics...Ass a result the attacker could get a small (maybe 5%) bonus to all damage totals for the duration of the battle.

Implementing a system similar to the aforementioned accomplishes at least 3 things.

1) Makes attacks more realistic... comon who would bring an axe to fight an Uzi?

2) Economy control ... more of a demand for each player to posess 2 weapons.

3) Adds more strategy to character setup and attacking. If you know an enemy has an AK97 and a Weak knife, maybe you risk fighting close combat even though your melee weapon is your slightly weaker weapon as well? etc.

Pleas post any thoughts/ criticisms.
2007.Feb.01, 05:07 PM

it's quite interesting and I won't say I don't like it. it depends on how much time would have to be averted from bugs and other work on the game to get this implemented.