Stealing items
2008.Jan.03, 02:44 PM

Still even with all of these negative opinions of the idea its still a good idea for the game. but i still wouldent like someone stealing anything i would happen to have in my storage.
2008.Jan.03, 04:09 PM

This idea is still rough around the edges, but I support anything that keeps people from being able to be untouchable.
2008.Jan.03, 04:44 PM

True it would be good to hurt some of those higher up players. but if there are going to be security systems for the storage i think they would always be able to afford the very best systems.
2008.Jan.03, 05:09 PM

gimpsyit Wrote:you got the point Biggrin

Of course. I am old enough to remember Nixon being around. :wink: :wink:
2008.Jan.03, 05:35 PM

Scorpious Wrote:
gimpsyit Wrote:you got the point Biggrin

Of course. I am old enough to remember Nixon being around. :wink: :wink:

.. and, I guess, to remember Point Break movie too ;-)
2008.Jan.03, 06:44 PM

carr9190 Wrote:True it would be good to hurt some of those higher up players. but if there are going to be security systems for the storage i think they would always be able to afford the very best systems.

At the moment we're just discussing the gross idea: I'd like widening game opportunities and think this could be one such way to do it.

The few suggestions I've made, were intended to help visualizing the "spicy" game effects: to me, reading about my "triple steel reinforced gang storage door" having suffered damage but having succeeded at rejecting the burglary attempt, sounds as cool as reading the report of the anonymous "former Presidents gang" having forced my vault and taken away a few items.

Obviously it would be a matter of balance, eventually making it an always risky but always possible task: as in real life, security isn't absolute. At most, we can talk about high security, meaning it would be extremely highly expensive ( in terms both of money or risks being taken) to overcome ;-)

Moreover, the game balance should take care of another tricky question anybody has yet posed: what does protect the weaker players ( or gangs) from being systematically robbed by the more powerful, and consequently more rich players? In the end, the latter could afford the best burglaring techologies.....

Think an hint could come from the mechanics regulating the actual attacks: an high ranked player has very little to gain from attacking a low ranked player. A similar mechanism should be found, if any, for this proposed feature: maybe having the most effective burglary tools as very expensive "one shot" items could be a valid solution?
As in real life, thieves have rare items collectors and, more generally, the richest as their most lucrative targets. If they have to take a risk, they'll take it in a worthy game: who would spend the top notch Acme "Open it all", multi purpose, Dicoate blades, silenced driller against a poor gang's storage ??
2008.Jan.03, 08:32 PM

I like the way your thinking about different ways to improve the game,I just dont like this idea.Its just not fair for someone to donate there money or earned there items through hard work to have,the stuff the have secured in storage stolen.
2008.Jan.04, 07:42 AM

theghost83 Wrote:I like the way your thinking about different ways to improve the game,I just dont like this idea.Its just not fair for someone to donate there money or earned there items through hard work to have,the stuff the have secured in storage stolen.

Well, when you talk about real money spent, I can see your point and any new feature should consider that factor.
Anyway, if real money is needed to buy the most sophisticated and unique equipment, this same concept could be applied to Burglary ( more generally, subterfuge) activities.

More generally, game mechanics have to provide a re-equilibrating loop ( a negative feedback loop for the more engineering oriented :-) ) to achieve long-term stability: considering items, or anything else attached to the palyers' core features, as untouchable, will, imho, eventually bring the game to .. saturation.

Moreover, I'd hardly talk about fairness in a game where direct attacks are allowed against players. What's the difference with a subterfuge attck? by losing an attack you lose time ( hence game opportunities ), not items. In spite of this, the hard work spent by players is a game asset you hardly lose: the experience coming with the hard work, is untouchable, indeed, even if you're victim to a burglary.