Gang War Ideas
2008.Apr.03, 11:42 AM
Gang War Ideas
I've had a lot of gang war ideas sent to me that I'd like to share with everyone. Some have their drawbacks but I think if we all brainstorm they could be fun new additions...

War Farming
Everyone knows the drill, you find a gang you can milk for gang points and you continually beat them down for easy gang points. Yes the strong prey on the weak here but sometimes it just isn't fun to lose your hard-earned points with no chance to defend yourselves.
  • Gang Point Safehouse - want to save up your points for that next upgrade? For a cost you could put them in a safehouse where other gangs can't milk it away from you. Of course there has to be drawbacks. It would have to cost something to deposit points, would need to be in there for a period of time where you have no access to them, and there would have to be some sort of cap. But other than that storing points is sort of like a bank for the bad.
  • Hideout Boobie-trap - Hate having the same gang running over your hideout? Well, next time you are declared on you will have some way of striking back. For a price you can set up traps in your hideout for those who overrun it next. Of course you cannot do this during war so it has to be set up beforehand. The results can be pretty rough, as all online players from both gangs will end up in the hospital once the bombs explode.
  • Hideout Weapons - Tree-fights with mortars and machine-gun nests might sound a little different than our current wars. If a gang declares on you and you have players online, then these babies kick in. Each attack on your hideout has a chance of causing hit point damage to the attackers. This could have some interesting consequences as you defend your hideout and your enemy weakens for your counter attacks via gang battles. Plus, how much would is suck for the attacker to be sent to the hospital when conducting a hideout attack?
Time & Declaration Limits
Gang wars can sometimes be way too long. Without a surrender, some gangs could be stuck with their group of members for an extremely long time. Perhaps limiting all gang wars to 12 hours or so could put a stop to this issue. In addition, maybe attaching some sort of cost to declaring on the same gang multiple times in the same time-period will alleviate the "ah man I hate warring these guys all day long" issues.

Gang Turf
Currently you can be anywhere in the city and attack another hideout. This does seem a little odd and is an obvious oversight on my part. Perhaps give gang hideouts some sort of location requirements such as a new "gang war" area where all attacks and defenses must be conducted. If you are outside this location you can only gang battle. Or each area can have different gang hideouts, although this could prevent certain gangs from attacking another unless they had multiple locations.

In any event these are some ideas that I've run across the last couple of weeks from other players.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Apr.03, 12:02 PM

no more safety nets, it's all part of being in a gang
2008.Apr.03, 12:03 PM

Anyone up for a game of Snood?

"Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?! This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass! "
2008.Apr.03, 12:18 PM

I like the Hideout Weapons, as long as they are priced accordingly. They should not be cheap, and if they are a permanent addition to a hideout then there should be general upkeep costs, such as monetary cost for bullets, or GP req's for usage.

The time frame on Gang wars works as long as it is something like 12 hours. You should be able to "farm", like Saint said, it is part of being a gang.

These things could help out lesser gangs but they should be very costly to obtain. There should be no free-bees.
2008.Apr.03, 12:20 PM

Gang domination-

If a gang declares on another and is defeated , they have to wear the victors gang tag for a period of time. Maybe until they gain enough GP's from war to emancipate, or Have a certain win % that will keep them on their own.

ala Weebay
2008.Apr.03, 12:27 PM

saint Wrote:no more safety nets, it's all part of being in a gang

Eh. Makes it a little hard to get a gang off the ground when you get pulverized before you can really form one just because you are an easy target (which is usually the case in terms of an active 9 member gang taking down an active 3 or 4 member gang, even if they are similar levels).

But I guess you are saying dont form a gang if your aren't strong enough, right? I dont know how I feel about that.

In any case, I think there are some good ideas here, would definitely change the face of wars...again. Which gives me mixed feelings because it took a slight adjustment time to figure out how to really use the new war code (after the other less new war code after the old code). But then again, doesnt mean it wouldnt make warring better.

Personally I would say that the point bank isnt a bad idea.
The boobie traps could make things extremely interesting/annoying...
Not sure how I feel about the hideout weapons, although I guess the aren't that different from the boobie traps (would these weapons be upgradeable?).
I think some gangs would appreciate the time limit, would it be decided by the attacker or an agreement between attacker and defender--many gangs count on the element of surprise in wars. I kind of view 12 hours as a very, very long gang war.
I believe the gang turf idea has come up multiple times (with other variations on it) and I thnk it makes sense. Having to think where to place your hideout could add another level of strategy (would certain gang point levels allow for a chain of hideouts...and if so would those all have to be defeated or would defeating different hideouts possibly give different points depending on district and/or strength?).

So that's my 2 cents...although looking back...kind of looking like at least 50 cents.
2008.Apr.03, 12:36 PM

Gang's should not be an easy thing to create, grow strong and make successful. It should take time, effort and a ton of beatings from gangs that are already established.

These ideas should be helpful, not unsurpassable. If you wanna make a gang strong it takes a lot of activity , as well as a serious amount of dedication and patience. These things are what should and do make a gang.
2008.Apr.03, 12:37 PM

the only changes i think need to be the length of wars...after a day the ones that are losing should go the the hospital and the ones not attacking on the winning side should go to jail

the gangs that are on top now fought hard to be there and earned everything they have, diminishing those gains destroys months and months of ap uses...

If you have one area you can hit...guess what...no searching for those that are hitting you in the wars...bam...a whole gang instantly in the hospital.

The whole point system should be revamped...this will eliminate the rolling of most gangs. Points should be awarded based on avg level of members as it is, but also those online, the hideout damage done, and total members in the gang.

If it costs you 40 hits for a measly 10pts you wont war them much eh?

more to follow

edit...biggest change needed

Gang hideout condition on all gang pages.....****most importantly on the war page.....please****

doh
2008.Apr.03, 12:37 PM

zingersmack Wrote:Eh. Makes it a little hard to get a gang off the ground when you get pulverized before you can really form one just because you are an easy target (which is usually the case in terms of an active 9 member gang taking down an active 3 or 4 member gang, even if they are similar levels).

exactly, why should it be easy to start? It wasn't necessarily easy for gangs that are already stronger when they started, and they still have to deal with a lot of the same struggles like slots, or other gangs declaring on them. also gangs get more points for higher level gangs so if they really want points they need to go for higher level gangs

marlo and pun said it perfectly while I was typing ^^^
zingersmack Wrote:But I guess you are saying dont form a gang if your aren't strong enough, right? I dont know how I feel about that.
I didn't say that, but would you open a store if you had nothing to sell?
2008.Apr.03, 12:42 PM

Gang weapons is a great idea.One of mine infact Biggrin.However id like to see a new career where you can train specifically for the use of these weapons.We already have the military but im talking about a brand new career artillery.

With no real benefits in stat deployment,will only be useful for operating these weapons,Mortars or machine gun nests.Whats more if the mortars can be upgraded then only players with level 2 artillery skill can use them.So forth and so on.

It would stop the very big/rich gangs dominating with ultimate weapons from the get go.

My idea would be to have attack the hideout...... basic attack or artillery attack. Basic being normal weapons we already have.Then if you have a career in artillery level 4 and the 4th upgrade of say the mortar weapon you would be able to do a significant damage to the other gangs hideout..perhaps 50/70 per shot.

It sure would add a different dimension to the game using artillery this way.

My feelings here are that even though you may be a low level with access only to the basic weapons,if you have done training in artillery you and your gang mates can be a match for anyone.Imagine being farmed for weeks and all your gang members have been taking the artillery career.Then next time those big boys come a knocking you all pile on to your mortars and blast their hideout to smithereens!