AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: protection code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I hear arguments for and against the protection code all the time. The uppers complain they can't keep doing it for mad minutes, and the lowers say without it they'd probably just quit because they can't play. Sure many of these players deserve their punishment, but there is a point where the punishment gets excessive... even when people NEVER learn their lesson.

Think about how long a typical hospitalization attack puts someone in the hospital for. The average hospitalization now is 119 minutes. Without the protection code it was 189 minutes. That's 2 hours with code and 3 without. It's gone up to 522 minutes (almost 9 hours!!)**. When people complain about online hits that result in 20 minute hospital stays, one 2-hour stay hurts big-time.

It's extremely difficult to limit yourself in dealing out appropriate punishment without being excessive, myself included. Let's face it, when you are mad at someone you want to make them stay in there for a long time. But when does it become excessive? 5 hospitalizations? 20? Until they quit?

I've seen players get 1,987 minutes of hospitalizations in 1 day (which is impossible without stims). You'd figure 33 hours of hospital time would be enough, but the next day they got 1,440 and never logged in again (yes, that's exactly 24 hours of hospital in 1 day). All of this because they hit someone online right when they logged in (of course the rude mails that followed didn't help).

I like the idea of making hospitalizations cost more to perform in exchange for removal of the protection code, but I still think we will have this discussion in another 6 months because it's tough to limit yourself to appropriate punishment without going overboard. That's what the protection code is intended for, so you don't have to make that judgment yourself.

cheetah Wrote:Yep, bc when you can no longer hospitalize someone, your gangmates step in to do it. Which leads to their gangmates stepping in on yours, which leads to a hospital full of people who wouldn't have been there if the code wasn't in place.
I respectfully disagree. Before protection code it was the same issue. You upset someone in another gang and everyone was sucked in even if they weren't involved.

** Ironically, the person who hit for 522 minutes did it again for 428 on the same player right after they stimmed out and complained that it wasn't enough.
zenith Wrote:I hear arguments for and against the protection code all the time. The uppers complain they can't keep doing it for mad minutes, and the lowers say without it they'd probably just quit because they can't play. Sure many of these players deserve their punishment, but there is a point where the punishment gets excessive... even when people NEVER learn their lesson.

Think about how long a typical hospitalization attack puts someone in the hospital for. The average hospitalization now is 119 minutes. Without the protection code it was 189 minutes. That's 2 hours with code and 3 without. It's gone up to 522 minutes (almost 9 hours!!)**. When people complain about online hits that result in 20 minute hospital stays, one 2-hour stay hurts big-time.

It's extremely difficult to limit yourself in dealing out appropriate punishment without being excessive, myself included. Let's face it, when you are mad at someone you want to make them stay in there for a long time. But when does it become excessive? 5 hospitalizations? 20? Until they quit?

I've seen players get 1,987 minutes of hospitalizations in 1 day (which is impossible without stims). You'd figure 33 hours of hospital time would be enough, but the next day they got 1,440 and never logged in again (yes, that's exactly 24 hours of hospital in 1 day). All of this because they hit someone online right when they logged in (of course the rude mails that followed didn't help).

I like the idea of making hospitalizations cost more to perform in exchange for removal of the protection code, but I still think we will have this discussion in another 6 months because it's tough to limit yourself to appropriate punishment without going overboard. That's what the protection code is intended for, so you don't have to make that judgment yourself.

cheetah Wrote:Yep, bc when you can no longer hospitalize someone, your gangmates step in to do it. Which leads to their gangmates stepping in on yours, which leads to a hospital full of people who wouldn't have been there if the code wasn't in place.
I respectfully disagree. Before protection code it was the same issue. You upset someone in another gang and everyone was sucked in even if they weren't involved.

** Ironically, the person who hit for 522 minutes did it again for 428 on the same player right after they stimmed out and complained that it wasn't enough.

You're sexy when you talk like that. All political and stuff. Do it some more.
Zenith,

What about raising the benchmark for the reduced time then? And why do offline hits for exp factor into the reduced hosp times? Don't you think it's a little extreme to only get 15 minutes and jailtime for a second hospitalization on someone just because you happened to hit them offline for some exp earlier in the day? Even with reduced times, the time should still be longer than if you had selected the "leave" option.

Loki

Thanks for the long explanation, but the code is not fair. The game should police itself. IMO, Zen, you get way too involved in day to day disputes. There was no reason for you to get involved in the Bad vs Dark war.

The tougher players in this game got to where we are without silly protection codes and crutches. We were told to train and get tougher if someone's actions in game were questioned.

Now that we've done that, you've made the game easier on the weak.
My idea should come into play. Anyone that talks smack, stats reduced for 5 minutes to all 1's, and they get their head clapped by the community for those 5 minutes.
TommiTheTaco Wrote:My idea should come into play. Anyone that talks smack, stats reduced for 5 minutes to all 1's, and they get their head clapped by the community for those 5 minutes.

Worst idea ever! Go KYS!

ShadowKid

Zen i think you should have put your top top players (donters mass 1's) first instead of new players because the top players have givin more to the game then a n00b Techinically some of the top players have quit due to this protection and gang back up shit so in theory this Protection and other thing has made you lose money through top donaters qutting all because a few n00bs complain and to the the bethmoth thing they can get to you other ways trust me.

(im proud of myself there i just put a full stop ) lol

saint

w00k Wrote:
TommiTheTaco Wrote:My idea should come into play. Anyone that talks smack, stats reduced for 5 minutes to all 1's, and they get their head clapped by the community for those 5 minutes.

Worst idea ever! Go KYS!

I second the motion

ShadowKid

Plus

3442 CarlWeathers 9 136 Hospitalized by ShadowKid

i used to put that guy in there for over 300+ mins he deserves more then 136 hosp stay plus he is the Top guy for making n00bs quit not other people you are making us pay for this guys crime
Shadowkid. If you're going to insult someone, at least spell their name right. (Super burn)

Loki. Why hospitalize me? Because I have an opinion? :shock:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Reference URL's