AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: Better Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Just got a new update from Zen in regards to the gang war system. Sounds like things will work out well with this.

Gang Wars will be revamped completely. They will no longer take action points or energy or what not. They will act on a "heartbeat" system. How this will be done is actually pretty complex code-wise, but simple when viewed on-screen. There won't be refresh-fests on attacks, nor will there be 2 second wars where the other gang doesn't even know they lost until they look at their gang events.

First of all, the gang-war page will utilize ajax/javascript to load data automatically, so no need to reload things. It will be live data up to the second. You will see who has entered the war, who is watching, and what their actions are. You can attack targets by clicking the target's icon. Phone users just need to tap. When damage is done to a hideout, the screen will automatically display the hideout's status and a log of what has happened.

It will act similar to an RTS, or real-time strategy system. Each player will have certain actions they can take, and the heartbeat system will basically countdown time until their action takes place. Level, skills, career will all determine how effective these actions are. Players, online or offline, can queue up their actions beforehand, or just make decisions when they feel it is necessary in real-time. So for example, if I want to just just snipe opponents from the safety of my hideout, I can queue that up until someone wins. If I want to control each action I can select them when needed during the war.

Hideouts will be completely redone. All gang points and funds used on gangs currently will be converted to the new system once it is finalized so nothing is lost. This gives gangs a chance to redo things in a sort of fresh-start. Since we will have an active beta test of it, every one will be going in with some sort of knowledge about the system beforehand so they don't screw themselves over with a decision they regret.

Each gang will have a home base, and the opportunity to build hideouts in other districts. Districts will have a revamped crimes/resources code done to make controlling districts useful and important for gang crimes. Gangs can go into other districts and start wars without a hideout to back them up, however this most likely will result in failure.

When wars begin, players will have one of three statuses. Inside the base, outside the base, and incapacitated. Each status has different actions available. Of course, those who are in the hospital and jail are incapacitated, and are unable to participate until they are out. Players outside the base can move around the battlefield, attack others outside of the bases, and perform actions against another's base. Players inside are protected until the hideout is ready to be overrun. They cannot attack others in standard PvP combat, they cannot train or do crimes, etc. However, they can help defend the hideout by sniping, repairing, or constructing.

And for those players who have phones, it should work fine on it. Those who have phones that can't handle javascript...that will be addressed as well. In effect it will do what I always wanted it to do, but I had lacked the experience to make. It will be a hybrid of real-time and turn-based.
damn, sounds complicated as fuck.
Sounds....ambitious.
sure...when?
it seems well thought out, but there are certainly many changes involved. all i can say is i hope it works in my favor. as for when this will actually be implemented... christmas 2012?
As I said before, that all sounds very good and if done right will change the game in a big way, but why has this jumped to the top above the many many things that "were been worked on and should be out in a few weeks" hell we still have a comp with no winner.
so some of the careers abilities will get changed?

(edit: for being unable to make a sentence, wtf was i typing)
(2010.Sep.29 03:37 PM)bconrad56 Wrote: [ -> ]Just got a new update from Zen in regards to the gang war system. Sounds like things will work out well with this.

Gang Wars will be revamped completely. They will no longer take action points or energy or what not. They will act on a "heartbeat" system. How this will be done is actually pretty complex code-wise, but simple when viewed on-screen. There won't be refresh-fests on attacks, nor will there be 2 second wars where the other gang doesn't even know they lost until they look at their gang events.

First of all, the gang-war page will utilize ajax/javascript to load data automatically, so no need to reload things. It will be live data up to the second. You will see who has entered the war, who is watching, and what their actions are. You can attack targets by clicking the target's icon. Phone users just need to tap. When damage is done to a hideout, the screen will automatically display the hideout's status and a log of what has happened.

It will act similar to an RTS, or real-time strategy system. Each player will have certain actions they can take, and the heartbeat system will basically countdown time until their action takes place. Level, skills, career will all determine how effective these actions are. Players, online or offline, can queue up their actions beforehand, or just make decisions when they feel it is necessary in real-time. So for example, if I want to just just snipe opponents from the safety of my hideout, I can queue that up until someone wins. If I want to control each action I can select them when needed during the war.

Hideouts will be completely redone. All gang points and funds used on gangs currently will be converted to the new system once it is finalized so nothing is lost. This gives gangs a chance to redo things in a sort of fresh-start. Since we will have an active beta test of it, every one will be going in with some sort of knowledge about the system beforehand so they don't screw themselves over with a decision they regret.

Each gang will have a home base, and the opportunity to build hideouts in other districts. Districts will have a revamped crimes/resources code done to make controlling districts useful and important for gang crimes. Gangs can go into other districts and start wars without a hideout to back them up, however this most likely will result in failure.

When wars begin, players will have one of three statuses. Inside the base, outside the base, and incapacitated. Each status has different actions available. Of course, those who are in the hospital and jail are incapacitated, and are unable to participate until they are out. Players outside the base can move around the battlefield, attack others outside of the bases, and perform actions against another's base. Players inside are protected until the hideout is ready to be overrun. They cannot attack others in standard PvP combat, they cannot train or do crimes, etc. However, they can help defend the hideout by sniping, repairing, or constructing.

And for those players who have phones, it should work fine on it. Those who have phones that can't handle javascript...that will be addressed as well. In effect it will do what I always wanted it to do, but I had lacked the experience to make. It will be a hybrid of real-time and turn-based.

Now your just talking shit.
in the words of peter griffin...

Frickin Sweet!!

thanks zen!
i like.

zen must be spending all her time at the local community college taking programming classes.

someone there must have taught her how to give 4 and 6 pts for a pvp gang battle victory.

zen, please dont make a fool of bcon. he's a good kid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's