there still aren't alot of people playing this game....
2007.Feb.16, 04:15 PM

Or even same crimes, but different AP and difficulty per district. Downtown you might mug someone for 5AP for 90 bucks but in Rural you might need 18AP and get possilbly 7 or 8 hundred off em!

If God is our father, you thought, then Satan must be our cousin
2007.Feb.16, 04:35 PM

now there's an idea... scaled difficulty and reward.

Think about it in real life... you mug someone in a backstreet, your chances of getting a lot of cash is minimal, and the risk of being caught is also minimal- slum towns have high crime rates, so people won't have large amounts on them. (downtown decatur)

But if you go uptown, and steal from larger houses, and richer people, the crime rate will be lower, and security far tighter. If you're good enough, you'll steal larger amounts, but the risk is greater. (midlan/rural)

This would also get the larger districts used more, and get more activity- at the moment, the only reason anyone uses midlan is a) to buy guns/houses or b) to rarely hide (kinda useless, since anyone capable of killing you can travel there, so wasted cash).

This would get those higher districts used. But there's no reason you can't have new higher level crimes available in higher districts too Biggrin
2007.Feb.16, 05:21 PM

I know you'll hate me for this one.

We need a "bank robbery" crime. If it succeeds, any amount of money made is taken proportionally from everybody's account.

Anyway, would be a good idea to make the district you're in more important in the game, i.e. different payouts for crimes; different crimes.
2007.Feb.16, 07:26 PM

gepetto Wrote:I know you'll hate me for this one.

We need a "bank robbery" crime. If it succeeds, any amount of money made is taken proportionally from everybody's account.

Anyway, would be a good idea to make the district you're in more important in the game, i.e. different payouts for crimes; different crimes.

There is a problem though with taking from players. No one likes this. I know I'd be a little ticked off because of it.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2007.Feb.16, 08:16 PM

I would be upset if someone stole the money out of my bank account.

Stealing from AL politicians, government and military would be fun.
2007.Feb.16, 11:25 PM

I guess we are just different. I would consider normal that in a game with crime money gets stolen from the bank... and thus from players. And after all, you're allowed to "mug" somebody and take their money and that is passe. "You should have put it in the bank". A bank crime doesn't have to have a big impact on everybody's account. If you divide 10-20k$ to 700 players and factor in some sort of level quantifier the sum is negligible.

This thread was about why don't more people play this game. Cause after all out of 4000+ registered users only 700 play it. I would say that more help for beginners would be valuable and would keep them from abandoning the game. Look, the real work is to get those 4000 people to the site. If you get them to register, you've won 50% of the battle. It's much easier to keep them in the game then to make them come to the site.

One of the key things I'm looking for when I play such a game is "what more I can do if I level up". It's the reward that I get for putting up with a few hours of clicking. I like rewards. anything that changes is entertaining. Get me more crimes, more weapons... etc.

I'm sure that the list of crimes can be filtered for different levels. When I level up I get more crimes that I can do. Let's say you're level x. There are probably crimes that you can never do given your stats, i.e success rate <5%. Just filter them out. More success rate == less jail time == more enjoyment for newbies. I bet if they are level 2 and try something that is 4AP and go to jail, in the first 30 minutes of playing the game they will never get back. Even if this sort of thing is done only for levels 1-6 it would still keep people on the site. Once you've hit lvl 6 you're probably hooked anyway, so you'll stay on.

Also from the "what more can I do department": the list of crimes is small. And for different levels of play there are certain "recipes" of crimes that work and are used by everybody. I'm sure there can be added many more crimes with same or just slightly different stats and outcome. Each with different stories... this will keep people entertained. Everybody would benefit from the "story" of the game being more elaborate.

Just my 2c...
2007.Feb.16, 11:42 PM

gepetto Wrote:I guess we are just different. I would consider normal that in a game with crime money gets stolen from the bank... and thus from players. And after all, you're allowed to "mug" somebody and take their money and that is passe. "You should have put it in the bank". A bank crime doesn't have to have a big impact on everybody's account. If you divide 10-20k$ to 700 players and factor in some sort of level quantifier the sum is negligible.

This thread was about why don't more people play this game. Cause after all out of 4000+ registered users only 700 play it. I would say that more help for beginners would be valuable and would keep them from abandoning the game. Look, the real work is to get those 4000 people to the site. If you get them to register, you've won 50% of the battle. It's much easier to keep them in the game then to make them come to the site.

One of the key things I'm looking for when I play such a game is "what more I can do if I level up". It's the reward that I get for putting up with a few hours of clicking. I like rewards. anything that changes is entertaining. Get me more crimes, more weapons... etc.

I'm sure that the list of crimes can be filtered for different levels. When I level up I get more crimes that I can do. Let's say you're level x. There are probably crimes that you can never do given your stats, i.e success rate <5%. Just filter them out. More success rate == less jail time == more enjoyment for newbies. I bet if they are level 2 and try something that is 4AP and go to jail, in the first 30 minutes of playing the game they will never get back. Even if this sort of thing is done only for levels 1-6 it would still keep people on the site. Once you've hit lvl 6 you're probably hooked anyway, so you'll stay on.

Also from the "what more can I do department": the list of crimes is small. And for different levels of play there are certain "recipes" of crimes that work and are used by everybody. I'm sure there can be added many more crimes with same or just slightly different stats and outcome. Each with different stories... this will keep people entertained. Everybody would benefit from the "story" of the game being more elaborate.

Just my 2c...

You gave me some good ideas for the crimes list. Thank yee. I quick-fixed the crimes page to show beginners a short list of only the crimes they can succeed at. More info in the newspaper. Smile

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2007.Feb.17, 02:05 AM

Problem here with stealing from peoples bankaccounts is that some of the players have donated real money and had it converted to game cash through credits. And stealing their money cause "its fun", "its just a game" would push alot of players away or stop them donating. Now I know that Zenith doesnt aim for donating, but its helps with getting game to run smoothly, helps her pay for problems when she encounters them.

And ads ofc to get more players Biggrin

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2007.Feb.17, 02:10 AM

How about we "randomly" announce someone the winner of the game? Because it's fun! Woo hoo. Matt wins... Level 33, GOODNIGHT!

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2007.Feb.17, 03:56 AM

Matt 1, Wolverine 2...... Goodnite!!!!