Gangs.
2009.Aug.26, 11:43 AM
RE: Gangs.
(2009.Aug.26 10:44 AM)Joshiwa Wrote:  
(2009.Aug.26 10:10 AM)kingdom Wrote:  @joshiwa:
the existing "real gangs" like the one im in are only a few maybe even not over 40 gangs so the people with lets say lesser gangs should find better gang to join.

I understand they can join another gang, but they just lose all investments they put into their gang? Besides how does this help AL? Does it make the game better? I'd rather see a re-work of gang wars than edit the # of gangs available.

+1
2009.Aug.26, 11:51 AM
(2009.Aug.26 10:55 AM)TommiTheTaco Wrote:  
(2009.Aug.26 10:40 AM)kingdom Wrote:  @tommi:
i dont want to make less gangs i want to make better gangs.

Less gangs doesn't make better gangs. Better people make better gangs.

hmmmmmmm you got me there ok but what about the gang property i was talking about?
is it good?
2009.Aug.26, 11:53 AM
You mean the actual hideout? You can make it good with better people.
2009.Aug.26, 11:59 AM
(2009.Aug.26 11:51 AM)kingdom Wrote:  hmmmmmmm you got me there ok but what about the gang property i was talking about?
is it good?

I gotta say thumbs down.

Organized crimes are already an easy way for gangs to make great money, the idea of owning things that give +X$ per day I don't like..., this idea, and frankly a lot of ideas thrown around, are basically just knock off ideas to copy games like Torn City and Mafia wars.

The pictures, the property, the ridiculous lack of restrictions on making money, all these things are spammed in other games similar to AL, inherently making them pretty much recycled copies of the same idea.

AL is and has always been unique in that it is in it's simplicity (relatively speaking) that its most appealing.

Cheats and exploits are thouroughly screened, admins are active, and always looking for innovative content to maintain and keep the game uptodate, without tying on the flashy bows and ribbons that some games do.

AL is about the gameplay, the balance, Flashy pictures (a reference to another thread), and the idea of supergangs that crank out resources at a ridiculous pace, are both suggestions that lead the game more and more toward the dozens of clones out there.

Fyi, the average lifespan of a Torn-City or other carboncopy game, is a lot lower on average than the lifespan of an ALer that takes the time to learn and appreciate the game.

Those things may attract more players, but it's not conducive to a fun balanced gameplay experience built to maintain and support it's active player base for the longterm, albeit still looking to find new players.

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." George F. Burns
2009.Aug.26, 12:16 PM
(2009.Aug.26 11:59 AM)Prophesy Wrote:  
(2009.Aug.26 11:51 AM)kingdom Wrote:  hmmmmmmm you got me there ok but what about the gang property i was talking about?
is it good?

I gotta say thumbs down.

Organized crimes are already an easy way for gangs to make great money, the idea of owning things that give +X$ per day I don't like..., this idea, and frankly a lot of ideas thrown around, are basically just knock off ideas to copy games like Torn City and Mafia wars.

The pictures, the property, the ridiculous lack of restrictions on making money, all these things are spammed in other games similar to AL, inherently making them pretty much recycled copies of the same idea.

AL is and has always been unique in that it is in it's simplicity (relatively speaking) that its most appealing.

Cheats and exploits are thouroughly screened, admins are active, and always looking for innovative content to maintain and keep the game uptodate, without tying on the flashy bows and ribbons that some games do.

AL is about the gameplay, the balance, Flashy pictures (a reference to another thread), and the idea of supergangs that crank out resources at a ridiculous pace, are both suggestions that lead the game more and more toward the dozens of clones out there.

Fyi, the average lifespan of a Torn-City or other carboncopy game, is a lot lower on average than the lifespan of an ALer that takes the time to learn and appreciate the game.

Those things may attract more players, but it's not conducive to a fun balanced gameplay experience built to maintain and support it's active player base for the longterm, albeit still looking to find new players.

I agree with what you say but gangs are in dire need of a fix ... wars are all but worthless since there's 0 incentive to be in them... I like the idea of gangs warring over territory or districts etc ... wish there was something more to gangs then just a group of people to socialize with and hit a gang crime button once in a while.
2009.Aug.26, 12:19 PM
I agree the gang system could stand to be tweaked, but that specific idea of owning "property" that provides bonuses daily struck a nerve, having more on the line and more to gain with gang combat is an idea I'd be open to exploring, but needs to be well thought out

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." George F. Burns
2009.Aug.26, 12:25 PM
^^ what MrJohnson said.

And Tommi, how come then Balazar's is so tough to take down? Plus I know of gangs who can withstand attacks not because of the quality/activity of their players, but because their hideout is pumped on steroids.

Why do you think there was such an outcry when Slim attempted the take-over of Dark Matter's old hideout? You think Bigrod ever made his money back? If there ever was a reason implemented to war outside of personal feuds, hideouts would come back in the spotlight pretty quick. They have value, they just have no value when there's no incentive to war.
2009.Aug.26, 03:37 PM
(2009.Aug.26 12:25 PM)Chymere Wrote:  ^^ what MrJohnson said.

And Tommi, how come then Balazar's is so tough to take down? Plus I know of gangs who can withstand attacks not because of the quality/activity of their players, but because their hideout is pumped on steroids.

Answer to presentation #1: Not a player made gang. Zenith could make it to where the NPC's attack players weaker than them, or attack players in general, if she wanted, as well as much that gang even more rough to beat than it is now. It isn't a player-based gang, but a non-player based gang.

Answer to presentation #2: Fit a 30 person gang with all level 5's with stats equal to their level. Are they going to go anywhere fast?