New Server Update
2008.Aug.21, 05:11 PM
New Server Update
Err and I have just received the hardware for the new server. We should have some pretty good firepower with this new beast. We are putting it together right now.

Dual Quad-Core Xeon Processors (8 total cores)
8 GB RAM (Will be 16 GB once newegg gets more in stock)
2U rack-mountable case
-- Redundant 700w power supplies (2)
-- 8 hot swappable drive bays
Motherboard with the capacity for 128 GB of RAM (maybe one day)
RAID 10 setup with 4 drives as our primary storage
RAID 0 setup with 2 10k rpm drives for temporary data (swap)
External drive for backups
Network drive for backups of backups
Colocated in a datacenter with 2 hours of battery backup and a diesel power generator in case of power loss.

We've invested a lot of donations in this puppy, so first I want to thank the community for your generosity. Without everyone support this wouldn't be possible.

We have a lot of redundancy built-in to ensure the game stays up as much as possible. Our new hosting facility is merely 15 minutes away from my place, and about 20 minutes from Err's place, so we can respond to server issues fairly quickly. The redundant power supplies are hot-swappable, meaning if one fails we can take it out and put a new one in without the site being down. The hard drives are also hot-swappable, meaning we will not be down in the event of a hard drive failure. If the unforeseen happens we also have 2 external backups just in case.

We are going to stress-test the hardware prior to moving the site over. If everything checks out I guestimate next weekend will be our big move. The site won't be down long though, perhaps an hour. I'll keep everyone posted with updates.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Aug.21, 05:14 PM

Sounds nice!

does this mean game time will be Pacific now?
2008.Aug.21, 05:17 PM

Loki Wrote:Sounds nice!

does this mean game time will be Pacific now?

Nice catch. Yes, totally forgot about that part. Server will be pacific time, so 2 hours difference (i.e. instead of 6pm it would be 4pm).

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Aug.21, 05:19 PM

Damn no more getting my skills and career stuff out of the way before I go to bed.

Nice to see you putting donations toward a nice investment like this. I figured you were driving around in an Enzo by now.
2008.Aug.21, 05:30 PM

Time change will take a bit getting used to.

I'm happy for you guys though. Congrats to you (and to us all really)
2008.Aug.21, 05:57 PM

yay for living in California!
2008.Aug.21, 06:02 PM

grabtindy Wrote:Nice to see you putting donations toward a nice investment like this. I figured you were driving around in an Enzo by now.

zenith Wrote:Our new hosting facility is merely 15 minutes away from my place, and about 20 minutes from Err's place, so we can respond to server issues fairly quickly.

:oops:

Member of Comunità di Sant'Egidio
2008.Aug.21, 06:47 PM

sucks if you live in central time zone

http://www.whodatjunkie.com
2008.Aug.21, 07:03 PM

Doesn't really make much difference if you live in England, always going to be way off AL time!
2008.Aug.21, 07:09 PM

Dang, now I have to stay up til 2 a.m. for gymborees and contests Sad