career point market?
2008.Jul.08, 05:01 PM

theghost83 Wrote:It would help the lil guys as well,it was just a idea dont beat me up over it I tried!lol

Dont listen to them bro.You keep on making idea's.Some will work other's wont and as you can see everyone has an opinion.
2008.Jul.08, 07:55 PM

an entire gang of lvl 10 construction workers with unlimted CP to repair...I like the thinking, but as zeon said, it'd threaten the stability of the game.
2008.Jul.08, 08:00 PM

nah no cps for sale

doh
2008.Jul.08, 08:32 PM

No CPs for sale IMO either. However, as posted by me in the past I feel as long as we have CPs in a career we should be able to use them no matter what field we are in now. I may want to use construction CPs during a war and notice one of my members has been hit in that war and know I still have CPs in medical. Then I can heal them, let them get back into the war again to fight and then use my Construction CPs as I was before. If a gang member gets hit I can use more medical CPs and so on until I run out or the war is over or we all are in the hospital.
2008.Jul.08, 10:20 PM
Re: career point market?
theghost83 Wrote:I think it would be great if we could sell our career points to people.Maybe for stats,but what I was thinking if they bought them they could use the points to fix hideouts or use the career ability of the person selling them!Anyone else think this would be a great idea?

Big plausibility problem here. Career points represent the knowledge and experience gained from doing one's job. Just how would you picture someone going about selling them in RL? Transfer of memories through Telepathy or RNA transfer in a black market clinic of some street doc by grinding up the brains of the seller? Either would seem a tad painful for the poor fool who sold them. And I am uncertain that the current tech level of this campaign justifies either possibility yet since we're still "near future". :?

As for the 2nd effect you were talking about, using a builder's career points to repair the hideout of a gang he doesn't belong to - that effect could be achieved by stipulating that engineers/construction workers could repair *any* hideout rather than merely the one their gang belongs to. Mind you, if I were a gang member I'd be a bit leery about having a total outsider repair *my* headquarters because of the intimate knowledge they would then have gained for it (Can you say "Sell or give the HQ ground plans to a rival gang, boys and girls? I *knew* you could! Wink ), but to each their own. Likewise, one could achieve a similar effect by having medics and scientists be able to heal any human and borg repectively instead of just their own members. This might allow gangs that belong to a larger family or alliance a chance to take advantage of those connections.

*shrugs*

All that said, I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants career points should just go ahead and earn them. I'm not too gungho about any change that requires too much alteration of the original code since too much of that over time could serve to make the system kludgey. Too many bells and whistles sometimes has that effect. ^_^;

Not that this concern will ever hold me back from trotting out *my* pet ideas from time to time. Twisted

Scorpius,
Your idea seems to me to have the advantage of greater RL plausibility but one thing I would stipulate in any abstract arguement is that such CPs would have only "half effect" or else cost double since it's not as though the character who's operating outside his career has been following the latest journals or has access to hospital settings. So such healing would be the roughest of field surgery at best and actually might do more harm than good IMHO. Being under the knife of an ex-surgeon who's thoughts are more on home repair than on the operation at hand could very well be it's own reward. ^_^;

"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid..." - Raymond Chandler.
2008.Jul.08, 10:40 PM

Denethor gets it.