Poll: Your thoughts on the current combat exploit code (please read post before voting)...
100% XP loss is fine.
100% XP loss is too much.
100% XP loss is not enough.
Another penalty shoud be implemented.
It has never happened to me, no comment.
[Show Results]

Official Awakened Lands Poll: Combat Exploit Prevention Code
2006.Sep.10, 11:22 PM
Official Awakened Lands Poll: Combat Exploit Prevention Code
There have been an inordinate amount of players getting tagged with the "You lost all your EXP for running from the fight" exploit deterent code lately. As we grow, the amount of players hit with this fix will grow as well.

This code is a remnant of the old Monocountry codebase. It is triggered when someone is in combat, and attempts to do something not combat related prior to the end of combat.

Personally, I don't feel this is too harsh a penalty. However, it is pretty harsh when it occurs to someone who is innocent of any wrongdoing. Since it is impossible to decypher the innocent from the guilty in these situations by code alone, and allowing human judgement and interaction most likely will lead to bias, I wanted to consult with our community about a possible change.

There are two situations I would like you to look at.
  1. What is a good enough deterent for the guilty (those who intentionally try to exploit the combat code)?
  2. What is an acceptable conseqence for an innocent / accidental click?

I must stress the fact that most of the time the code is triggered, it is in the event of an exploiter. Since June 1st the code has been triggered 1,037 times, of which 901 were obvious exploits (most of whom are no longer playing). It's hard to judge how the rest can be categorized.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2006.Sep.10, 11:59 PM

How about adding one of those number image thingies that requires you to type in the number at random times, that way if someone refreshes when that pops up you know they are an exploiter. Or make a popup message warning when leaving combat.. clicking refresh jails them, clicking on the ok link lets them go unpunished.
2006.Sep.11, 12:09 AM

LuparKoor Wrote:How about adding one of those number image thingies that requires you to type in the number at random times, that way if someone refreshes when that pops up you know they are an exploiter. Or make a popup message warning when leaving combat.. clicking refresh jails them, clicking on the ok link lets them go unpunished.

Refreshing is not the issue here, it's bailing out of combat when you know you are overmatched.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2006.Sep.11, 01:35 AM

how about just a warning screen then?

But I agree with you, it's not a big deal.. and they'll only have it happen to them once before they realize and dont do it again
2006.Sep.11, 03:17 AM
Another approach or addition
the way I see it, if you are going to wuss out of a fight, then you will do it no matter what the cost in XP is.

I assume that most of the people who do this are lower level, and it won't really matter to them if they lose the XP.

I'd put a jail time with it. "you tried to run from a fight and got busted by the cops"

That way everyone else could see what a wuss they are. For Example:

Ubernoob attacks OEF5:
Ubernoob misses
OEF5 hits for 90 damage
Ubernoob backs outta combat (losing xp then wham the cops grab him)

Jailhouse:
Ubernoob got caught by the police for being a wuss! 20 minutes Twisted
2006.Sep.11, 07:02 AM

its fine for me...

it should b able to happen to all ppl at all lvls.. they wanna wuss out let them.. in exchange for their exp.. at 100% cost
2006.Sep.11, 02:35 PM

i think a problem with jailing them severely arises in the midst of a gang war. (they would have lost the fight & gang respect, and are now instead protected by the cops!)

having never experienced the problem, i am completely fine with the 100% xp loss penalty. But if even one person is losing all thier EXP through no wrongdoing / act of stupidity or shortsightedness, then i agree something needs to change, as that seems completely unfair.

as to an appropriate penality....got me stumped. maybe they could automaticly lose the fight,, and a set amount of xp? maybe the amount should vary based on level?

Maybe the hospital visit should be longer seeing as they probably gust got shot in the back while running like a coward?

just ideas. i personally like the 100% xp loss
2006.Sep.11, 04:14 PM

You could write some code on every page, so that when ever a user tries to go on another page, while in combat, then they're still in the battle. It wouldn't be hard. Just create a some kind of log in the database, when a player battles another player. When the battle comes to an end, delete the log in the database. Then, on every page, get your quesry to check the database and see whether or not the user is in a battle. If so, then every page of AL will be the combat page. Heh, even if they log out and log on later. There's an old saying. If you make your bed, then be prepared to lie in it. Have I gone on too long, now?

lol
2006.Sep.11, 05:15 PM

^^^
ya except if they picked you to attack, and then didnt finish combat, you would also be in perma-combat and not be able to attack or be attacked by anyone else...that would be frustrating
2006.Sep.11, 05:39 PM

I didn't know that when you attack, you couldn't be attacked. Or is that correct? Even if this is so, the code on every page is checking if you are in combat, not your opponent. If you can't attack a player, while they're in combat, then that makes no sense to me. It's like some mystical power overwhelmes the attacker from attacking some one who is already fighting. I personally, would love to see handicap combat.

Twisted

Edit: If we lose 100% experience, then any old player could take advantage of any one willing to fall for a crafty link over MSN.

Sad

Edit: Okay. If you really want to stop this, then just make battles one page. Yeah, we might not be able to use different weapons during intervals, but battles will be much more faster.