Gang Wars and Gang Battles
2008.Feb.07, 07:37 AM

TommiTheTaco Wrote:Yeah. You were small whenever everyone else was small. Now, you're bigger, and there're smaller gangs trying to chase after the dream that you're currently living. They can't possibly do that if the bigger gangs are taking away their chances for such a thing.

Bro you are forgetting here this game is based as a reflection of irl issues.If this is true then there can be no sentiment for weak/small gangs.The only way to sort this disagreement and solve all those issues is to give all gangs the option to merger..Thats the bee all and end all here.If they merger they get stronger if they dont then they get slapped.
2008.Feb.07, 07:39 AM

Bigger doesn't mean stronger, Biff. Just because some fat kid goes against some shrimp doesn't mean that fat kid's gonna win.

Quality over quantity. I'm pretty sure the Hitman for Hire would say something of the sort.
2008.Feb.07, 07:55 AM

i think there needs to be a cap on gang members, just a large one. having no cap is silly.. a gang with 500 members? i mean.. cmon. some day, someone is going to donate enough to do it, and its gonna be retarded
2008.Feb.07, 07:57 AM

Ha. The day that happens, I'm pretty sure that every gang would have merged with one another to make the super gang. XD Then, some of those people are going to split off and make another super gang. Whenever that happens, for goodness sake, we'd all be having too much fun. Zenith wouldn't know what to do with the game. XD
2008.Feb.07, 07:58 AM

TommiTheTaco Wrote:Yeah. You were small whenever everyone else was small. Now, you're bigger, and there're smaller gangs trying to chase after the dream that you're currently living. They can't possibly do that if the bigger gangs are taking away their chances for such a thing.

incorrect, we werent the first blood through this game. we were insignificant when we joined. The elders and alderman ran the show. Then it was sarge and chris in Doomed to Destruction. Followed by Pestilence.

New gangs rise to the top and then for one reason or another another one takes their place.

if you want the history - http://www.bottledbrainsdirect.com/archive.html

The SVs were minor players in Marvel Back then.

Conrad attacked the Wranglers and Lost.

Fighting Phish since 2007
2008.Feb.07, 08:00 AM

I'm pretty sure you weren't attacked constantly by the bigger players because you were insignificant and couldn't do too much, either.
2008.Feb.07, 08:17 AM

Im not saying Im against this system but when the little guys start spending tons of time in the hospital and cant play like they normally do, there is going to be tons of complaining. A lot of quitting too.

When you aren't able to make a lot of cash or throw real money at this game a $500 stim is a lot. Especially if they have to use 10+ in a battle.

I dont know if I missed it but is the option in the new proposed gang war leave or mug? Im assuming hos'p is out because it would net you no respect.
2008.Feb.07, 11:43 AM

i really like this idea, just saw this thread.

i didn't read all 12 pages now but thats why i want to ask you a favor zen

could you plz start a new thread with the gang war system including all the (according to you) good ideas. i mean the changes/addons you have thought of since this thread started :?:

this would make it easier for everyone i think.

and also some new ideas could be given.
2008.Feb.07, 12:11 PM
a n00b's perspective
Preface: Maybe I didn't fully understand the discussion, but here's my
n00b perspective. (sorry for the extra long blog)

what really bugged me was seeing the
hypothetical of someone of lower level (the example of level 10 was used several times...)
getting hospitalized for like 1000 minutes by some level 40 guy.

What happens is there is a really expensive stimpack situation, or I log out cause I can't do
jack shit, and eventually forget to log in for a few hours.
Then I remember to log in.
Surprise, I'm hospitalized again.
can't be active.

Soon it's just not worth logging in just to see if I can even play at all.
I guarantee you, I'd quit, and
I know I wouldn't be the only one. Games should be enjoyable and accessible
to those who take the time to
get involved. Losing is part of the enjoyment, of course, because you have
to grow your online character,
and as you see yourself develop, you lose less often etc. But preventing
the growth in the first place is a terrible idea.

It's concepts like this that prevent me from actually donating any real life cash.

Why would I "donate" (pay for) a GAME when the potential that I will be
completely prevented from playing it exists on a constant basis?
People join a game specifically, duh, so they can play, not wait out
their injuries over several hours.

It's like buying a Wii, then having someone just take it away for however long they want,
whenever they feel like it. Sure there's supposed to be some reflection of real life gang situations
but this kind of repercussive system would only result in a much smaller player base.

"if you can't hang with that kind of gang warfare, don't play"
..."Hey, sounds great. see ya'llz in a different game, then."

You see what I'm getting at?

Secondarily, gangs getting pwned at 3 am and then losing slots: Without even
being aware, someone is potentially removed from the gang. (I guess that
point is now moot and not happening?) I just want to chime in and
agree that this in particular was a horrible idea.

There should be definite rewards and penalties in gang wars (not sure I understand the separate category of gang "battles").. I like the gang points and other ideas such as not being able to declare war for time periods, etc...

I guess where I'm coming from is - level 1-4 were so infuriatingly slow to gain levels in the first place, not to mention trying to get any money or skills, i nearly quit right off the bat. making that process even more difficult will completely alienate potential new players.

If that's the goal, then go for it.
2008.Feb.07, 12:29 PM

wow.

While I agree that there should be a way for new players to grow and flourish in the game, maybe a warring level restraint (Can't participate in wars until level 7), you cant make the games mechanics favor the inexperienced and let the same game get stale for long term players.

The game is structured around gang warfare, and the current format, while very accessible to a younger player, has seemingly gone stagnant for active, long term Lander's. While you put it a little brashly above, you shouldn't be posed wit the ultimatum of play rough or play elsewhere, but there has to be a middle ground.