Gang Wars and Gang Battles
2008.Feb.05, 03:10 AM
Gang Wars and Gang Battles
I've had a lot of feedback lately that people want to lower the hurt on others by standard combat instead of hideout fights.

Err and I have had a very long discussion on the subject this weekend. The change was originally made to fix 2 complaints about the old war system that we dealt with very frequently; gang deletion and constant hospital visits.

The old way made feuds between players/gangs cause permanent hurt. If you invested $20 million into a gang, any single player who was stronger than your gang members could take it away on a whim. You'd be in the hospital for several days and in the end you would have no gang. The millions invested were gone. In the end, the player quit. This happened so often in the past the new gang war code was added.

Everyone knows I am all about not having people quit because of actions from another player. But the game is about combat and beating those you are stronger than, and the game needs to refocus on this.

My proposal is just that, an idea. I am not asking if people want it or not. I am asking about opinions. Honest opinions. This issue with gang wars has caused the skills system (replacing school) to be pushed back until a working system for gang fights is implemented.

Proposal

Gang Battles - PvP

The old-school system had it's flaws but also had more bite. Gang Battles will involve old-school tactics. Fights will be against players rather than hideouts. Respect will have to be earned, purchased with gang points, or donated for. When you deplete a gang's Respect down to 0, they aren't deleted... they lose 1 gang slot.

Respect is earned the old way. Beat someone who is weaker than you and you get 1 point. Beat someone stronger and you get 5. Beat someone even and you gain 3.

To compensate for having the risk of losing slots, prices to buy slots will decrease. All gangs with purchased slots will have a portion of this money returned.

Additional Ideas for Battles
1.) All gang battle participants can be attacked at any health condition. Did that level 24 just get out of the hospital at 10% health? Might be a good time for a lower level to strike for 5 respect!
2.) When in battle, a war (see below) can be declared. If a hideout falls, the war and battle are over.
3.) Battles require a minimum of 5 members in the gang. Any gangs below 5 members do not get any gang bonuses from hideouts.
4.) All gangs have 100 respect initially. When 0 or less is reached, the war is over and the loser will lose 1 gang member slot. There will be no permanent deletions, but any gang dropped to below 5 member slots gets no bonuses.
5.) Respect can be purchased with gang points at a 10 to 1 ratio at any time. You cannot purchase respect if over 100 respect however.

Gang Wars - Current Hideouts
The current gang war system was designed so a strong player couldn't delete a gang of 20 just because he was stronger. This was the #1 complaint with the old system. Somehow a large gang had to have some sort of strength against 1 player.

Gang wars will continue as they are. They will be a way for weaker players to stop a hopeless war against a superior opponent, but not a guarantee that it will work. Any win in a gang war will stop a gang battle and vice versa. Gang points will have more uses as well, with more temporary bonuses as well as permanent bonuses.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Feb.05, 03:24 AM

wow

i'm not sure what i think..... i guess i like it. yea i like it.

wow
2008.Feb.05, 03:26 AM

Very interesting....i like the new additions but think the ideas could use some tweaking.....guess i would have to try it to know if i liked it or not.....

If I want to manufacture biological weapons with my copy of iTunes, I will, fascists. Ditch this bullshit.
6.) You hit for 1245 points of damage. **** resists 34 for a total of 1211 damage.
2008.Feb.05, 03:29 AM

Again, it's a proposal, not something that was added. We already know from the past what the consequences are... people will lose things and hospital visits will at times be constant. But it's priority now.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2008.Feb.05, 03:47 AM

Will the cost of stims be reduced too or the effectiveness increased?

I am all for the reintroduction of the old war system, I like the new changes, especially the health, thats a nice touch. The old system was a lot of fun and to be honest the game hasnt been as good since its removal. I miss the day of running from district to district to hit players whilst at the same time trying to avoid Mudpies Biggrin bring it back, boots on the other foot now Biggrin

Conrad attacked the Wranglers and Lost.

Fighting Phish since 2007
2008.Feb.05, 04:19 AM

My thoughts:
1) Gang battles would last a certain amount of time until the police could have a chance to intefere and: 36,40, 50 hours(just some numbers);

2)Gang Combat Rating should be more effective during wars at least;

3)
andyscho Wrote:Will the cost of stims be reduced too or the effectiveness increased?

4)Reduce the number of hits allowed on a player after X attacks on him;

5)An option to hide a less powerfull member of the gang from the enemies Biggrin

Member of Comunità di Sant'Egidio
2008.Feb.05, 04:27 AM

Zen, I like this idea of PvP wars, its good and fun, but, moi only concern is about small startup gangs which consist of just 3 lower level players (say level 1-10) they wont stand a chance to survive, and yes we then need to think about the stim cost.

Maybe, just a thought, if possible we can install a system where in no gang below average level 10 can get involved in this old school war system.
2008.Feb.05, 04:30 AM

sounds cool...it would be nice if we test this addition for 1 day so we can really see what are the pros aand cons in that proposal... :wink:
2008.Feb.05, 05:08 AM

alinutza Wrote:My thoughts:
5)An option to hide a less powerfull member of the gang from the enemies Biggrin

This is actually a very god idea. being able to actually use your hideout to cower for 10 mins or so at the cost of gang points is very interesting

Conrad attacked the Wranglers and Lost.

Fighting Phish since 2007
2008.Feb.05, 06:04 AM

What happens if you happen to be a gang who buys 10 slots, loses the gang war (dropping you to 9 slots) and then you do not buy more respect? Do you reap the benefits with having other gangs being able to war on you?

Also, I am a bit confused on the wording. Let's say someone wants to take down hitmen for hire (also forget the fact that they keep less than 5 members). How do they go about dropping their respect?

Would there be a peaceful neighborhood? Not all of us are here to be warmongers. Of course, then again, you wouldn't have to be in a gang then.