Recent events have me thinking
2006.Aug.23, 06:45 PM

The money was already in circulation, I don't see how having it split up hurts anything.
2006.Aug.24, 12:41 AM

I do not believe that Zenith made a correct choice in having me return the money. Zenith makes the rules though, and I have followed them, and I did it quickly.
I still do not know how one player giving money, regardless of the amount destabilizes the game. In this example, it will mean that Casa stays where he is, and I would have become more powerful.
I don't have Casanova's financial resources to donate. Other players would have passed me in total worth over time. I got to where I was (about #10 on the server) by playing this game ALOT, and by being farsighted enough to ally with Chris very early on in the game. Relative to my power at the time, Chris game me much more than Casanova did.
I still feel that a fee based cash transfer system would have been a much better solution, especially if there was to be daily limits to transferred amounts.
2006.Aug.24, 01:25 AM

The final decision was based primarily on setting the proper example for all future issues with gifts from retiring players. I appreciate your quick response and integrity with the entire situation Lostangel.

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2006.Aug.24, 05:18 AM

well I'm a wee bit biased also, I wonder if this would have come up if YOU had recieved the money. or if the money had been dumped in the guild coffers instead of used to buy a house.

that being said...

I don't think it's "Fair" to the game economy to let someone buy that kind of wealth in the first place. It completly skewed the game structure (made the developers some quick cash).

Now that a person has decided to leave indefinitly, that money HE SPENT on something is now in question? The time to question that should have been when he was making 15 people misserable by paying the developers directly.
2006.Aug.24, 05:48 AM

Zenith, if I wanted to buy $1200 worth of credits today, would you sell them to me?
2006.Aug.24, 05:51 AM

Tobith Wrote:Just to make sure. None of the questions in my post above reflect my opinion; they were just to get people thinking. I tried to remain neutral and represent all sides.

I think my concern is that millions of dollars were all in one person’s pockets and he was using it mainly on things that don't enter into circulation such as houses and other things for himself. Now he has given it to certain people and if it enters into circulation it will, like Zen said, throw the economy in a tailspin. From experience with other games like this one, I do not want to see this happen.

What if the people spent it all on a house? Freeing up the money they had already purchased from the develpers (with real money) Game money amounts that iare close to the amounts used to bribe other game players for protection.

Is it still bad? I'm failing to see why there was ever a concern, other than sourgrapes at not being the lucky lotto winner.
2006.Aug.24, 07:08 AM

We can blame me for this all we want but I think we all know it would have happened either way. I simply brought the issue out in the open for open discussion and ideas since I had a feeling it was coming.

If you still just want a name to be mad at for the sake of being mad then feel free, I can take it.

Smile
2006.Aug.24, 07:43 AM

I would just like a responce on how the money being transferred would hurt the game.
I feel that Zenith owes the community, especially Pinky and I, an explanition as to how the money being transferred would hurt the game in any way. I will offer an explanition on how it will help the game...

I am a fairly active player. The money donated to me (~15 million) became a 10 million dollar house (up from my previous 750 thousand house) and money in the bank. I promply donated money to my gang (100 thousand) and distributed it evenly to my members (12500 each). Projecting this wealth forward, I would have had faster stat gains (gaining ~42/full/full training vs ~25). I would have been able to buy any weapon I want. I would have made some interest in the bank (~1200/day, I think). My gang would likely become stronger with increased giving to the gang. All in all this would positively affect 8, and maybe as many as 18 players (if you include the entire Bad Family of gangs). It would affect the rest of the community negetively how? those 18 players would, in theory, be harder to kill, and it would be easier for them to kill.
Should that be the reason to remove this gift? If it is, then I demand the removal of wealth from myself and all of the elders, because nobody should be more powerful than someone else. Levels are ok, because you have to work at that, but them having more wealth than the rest of us has already ruined the game.
Zenith, what has "destabilized" the game is the ability to spend real cash for game cash. Fortunately for you, Casanova does not live in the US, and I am not litigous. Based on the rules you had in place at the time the gift was given, and based on prior precendent within the game, in other similar games and in the court of law, you could be sued.
I just want a well explained explanition on your decision. For taking 20 million from your players that someone gave you cold hard cash for, you owe the community that.
2006.Aug.24, 07:58 AM

Lostangel Wrote:Fortunately for you, Casanova does not live in the US, and I am not litigous. Based on the rules you had in place at the time the gift was given, and based on prior precendent within the game, in other similar games and in the court of law, you could be sued.

lol

I think you are confused and mad. There are a few things you are forgetting.

1 The keyword here is "Donation" not bought or paid for but "Donation"

2 You should check on rule 9 (Which has always been there), I think it pretty much gives Zen the power
2006.Aug.24, 08:11 AM

Lostangel Wrote:Fortunately for you, Casanova does not live in the US, and I am not litigous. Based on the rules you had in place at the time the gift was given, and based on prior precendent within the game, in other similar games and in the court of law, you could be sued.

Please tell me this is a vain attempt at sarcasm on your part. The keyword is 'DONATION'. The in game perks given for players DONATION are just merely incentives to encourage DONATIONS. This game is completely free and DONATIONS are not required. The thought of a player threatening legal action towards the games' Owner/Developer is laughable at its very best.