What have i missed?
2011.Oct.08, 08:06 AM
RE: What have i missed?
(2011.Oct.07 11:33 PM)MrPapagiorgio Wrote:  That's a fair criticism. It's impossible to prove a negative, so I won't try. It's an opinion based on my belief that no one is minding the store. I can't prove it, but there is some circumstantial evidence.

When was the last time that anyone was Fed jailed? My guess is that no one has been jailed for months, despite the fairly clear multitude of multis. I don't know this, but I would guess that it was before w00k left, 200 days ago. His stated reason for leaving was his perception of a gross unfairness in rule enforcement.

It's also my opinion that this lack of admin involvement dates back to the Christmas hack. I can imagine no greater intellectual violation than having your property stolen and published to a worldwide audience. She's entitled to whatever action or reaction she wants.

Would you agree, though, that a game is only a game if if has an agreed upon set of rules that are applied and enforced fairly?

The multi "problem" is certainly one of merit, and one that I had not thought of. However, I ask you, why is it such a big deal. It would take a looong time for a multi to come to fruition and become profitable, so, from my viewpoint, there's still time to correct this error. And kinda funny that w00k would be complaining of unfairness, as he extorted a sum of money from me a while back (not that he didn't have a legitimate claim to the money - but extortion is extortion).

(First off, I am going to assume you meant "if and only if" instead of "if if" - correct me if I am misinterpreting) I'm not terribly sure I'd agree that rules are the primary, defining characteristic of a game; while it certainly may be an important facet, as your definition would imply. To elaborate, the use of a biconditional allows swapping of the premise and conclusion; I think that we can both agree that there are things that have rules that are not games, and so therefore the dichotomy you set up is flawed at best. As to the more general premise, rather than the issue in particular, I would tend to say that that defines a fun game (though there are fun games not like that), but not necessarily any game. As a counterexample to that (and therefore your statement), I would offer the example of the card game Mao. The premise of the game (if you are not familiar) is that the rules of the card game are only known by the leader of the round. While they do enforce these originally unknown rules fairly and consistently, they are not agreed upon. And, trust me, it is really fun to play, especially if you get crazy round leaders who use complex rules. As to the point of enforcement, I'm still not entirely sure I agree with you, but am unable to find a counterargument, so will cede that for now.

Whatever leniency I extended to you and your comrades before, may have been in error. If you persist in halting our course, we will burn your pathetic fleet down to the last man.
2011.Oct.08, 08:31 AM
there is no point in playing a game with no rules. I have more than a few friends who would play and donate but I wont refer them because retards like batman are allowed to suspend peoples accounts with constant hospital stays there is no point.

2 easy fixes

scrap the forum. this part of the game chases away any potential players and new players.
sets a fine stage for egomaniacs to get carried away.

set a level cap on hospitalizations. give younger players a chance to catch up to the high level players who pervert the nature of this game.

Potential racism in context (+2 points) 2011.Jun.02, 04:19 AM 2011.Jun.09, 04:19 AM Jolabent
Inappropriate language and attacking mod (+2 points) 2011.May.13, 03:28 PM Expired bconrad56
2011.Oct.08, 08:46 AM
if you guys still want a game to play in the next year, you need to allow new players to join and grow. new players register everyday, and if you think they dont stay because 'there are no contests' and 'no updates' then i regret to inform you that you are ENTIRELY wrong. new players dont know or care for these benefits that you older players were spoiled with when the game first started. when i first started i didnt even know what a gym day was, and i couldnt care less. maybe it is the reason YOU dont want to play anymore, but that doesnt mean you have to spoil a new players time in this game. take it from me, who recruits new players all the time, and who has seen them grow and enjoy the game for what it is, not what 'they would do if they ran the game'.

my point is, zen spent years building a game that you obviously enjoy if you are still playing, and regardless of updates or contests it is still a functioning game that you all like to play. you can make up all the rules in the world but at the end of the day its up to you to make a difference.

Signed, Cober

Noobie Guru

Wu tang
2011.Oct.08, 08:54 AM
Enough said.

Close thread. Scream
Explains why all the higher levels are a bunch of whiners. Scream
This post was last modified: 2011.Oct.08 08:58 AM by Agatha.
2011.Oct.08, 09:01 AM
(2011.Oct.08 08:46 AM)HeadBustin Wrote:  if you guys still want a game to play in the next year, you need to allow new players to join and grow. new players register everyday, and if you think they dont stay because 'there are no contests' and 'no updates' then i regret to inform you that you are ENTIRELY wrong. new players dont know or care for these benefits that you older players were spoiled with when the game first started. when i first started i didnt even know what a gym day was, and i couldnt care less. maybe it is the reason YOU dont want to play anymore, but that doesnt mean you have to spoil a new players time in this game. take it from me, who recruits new players all the time, and who has seen them grow and enjoy the game for what it is, not what 'they would do if they ran the game'.

my point is, zen spent years building a game that you obviously enjoy if you are still playing, and regardless of updates or contests it is still a functioning game that you all like to play. you can make up all the rules in the world but at the end of the day its up to you to make a difference.

Signed, Cober

Noobie Guru

+1
2011.Oct.08, 09:28 AM
(2011.Oct.08 08:46 AM)HeadBustin Wrote:  if you guys still want a game to play in the next year, you need to allow new players to join and grow. new players register everyday, and if you think they dont stay because 'there are no contests' and 'no updates' then i regret to inform you that you are ENTIRELY wrong. new players dont know or care for these benefits that you older players were spoiled with when the game first started. when i first started i didnt even know what a gym day was, and i couldnt care less. maybe it is the reason YOU dont want to play anymore, but that doesnt mean you have to spoil a new players time in this game. take it from me, who recruits new players all the time, and who has seen them grow and enjoy the game for what it is, not what 'they would do if they ran the game'.

Signed, Cober

Noobie Guru

I've never hosped a player who didn't provoke me extensively (and I mean extensively - I can probably count on my fingers the amount of hosps I've issued). And I agree - however, I would argue that Zenith needs to be more aggressive with noobs. Whereas you and I had people (a lot of them) who enjoyed the game to help us and get us interested, there are far fewer now. That's why I've advised starting noobs off with a 2 month donator day, etc. to get their feet in the door.

Nevertheless, I think the people who continue to play have legitimate grievances, a fact that you sidestepped almost entirely...

Whatever leniency I extended to you and your comrades before, may have been in error. If you persist in halting our course, we will burn your pathetic fleet down to the last man.
2011.Oct.08, 09:42 AM
(2011.Oct.08 08:31 AM)schoolboy Wrote:  there is no point in playing a game with no rules. I have more than a few friends who would play and donate but I wont refer them because retards like batman are allowed to suspend peoples accounts with constant hospital stays there is no point.

2 easy fixes

scrap the forum. this part of the game chases away any potential players and new players.
sets a fine stage for egomaniacs to get carried away.

set a level cap on hospitalizations. give younger players a chance to catch up to the high level players who pervert the nature of this game.

I am afraid I disagree with getting rid of the forums. IMO it gives a person a chance to understand the other players a bit. There are some players I care for how they choose to play the game (though I will defend their right to play how they wish), but after reading some of their posts I have grown to respect them.
When I started playing some people reached out and helped me. Not with things, little stuff like busting me out of jail and answering questions. That made a huge differance in my sticking around and I do try to pay it forward.
There is a "newbie" time out, they can't be attacked by anyone over level 5 unless they have attacked themselves I believe? At least until they hit level 5. Since I spent most of my first 2 days in the hospital (until a truce was worked out) I agree with this but I am not sure how much more protection should be given.
"I care for how" should read "I don't care for how"

can't scroll down to edit on the phone, sorry.
This post was last modified: 2011.Oct.08 09:47 AM by TealJade.

Proud US Navy Veteran
Just because you CAN cuss doesn't mean you NEED to....
2011.Oct.08, 11:42 AM
(2011.Oct.08 09:28 AM)Accipender Wrote:  That's why I've advised starting noobs off with a 2 month donator day, etc. to get their feet in the door.

ive suggested this too, and i think its a good idea

Wu tang
2011.Oct.08, 12:45 PM
(2011.Oct.08 12:15 PM)Batman Wrote:  And very weak when I try to zerk and lost against you...damn I need to hit the gym Sad

you must get shit gym trains if hospitalizing me benefits you. do it all you like. I asked cober to stop hitting you. you know you are weak and that amuses me more than the game. I usually login long enough to message my gangmates and do career and skill work. you aren't stopping me from doing anything. you are a pussy and if you left darkmatter somebody would retire your sorry ass. the fact that you are european penis muncher keeps me amused enough to keep reading your dickless posts.

Potential racism in context (+2 points) 2011.Jun.02, 04:19 AM 2011.Jun.09, 04:19 AM Jolabent
Inappropriate language and attacking mod (+2 points) 2011.May.13, 03:28 PM Expired bconrad56
2011.Oct.08, 12:52 PM
Multis would not be a problem for me if everyone were allowed to have them under the rules. But as it stands, I am less likely to help a n00b because I can't get over the idea that I'm helping some moron's newest multi rather than an actual new player. I would be significatly more likely to help n00bs if either the existing rule was enforced or if multis were allowed according to the rules (which is also what I prefer.) I brought up the multi issue as circumstantial evidence that no one is running the game.

I agree with much of what Cober wrote. But, I completely disagree with the last thing he wrote. It is exactly the point I am trying to make. He wrote "at the end of the day its up to you to make a difference." It is absolutely NOT up to me. It is up to the administrator.

When I go out to eat, it is not my responsibility to make sure I have a positive experience. It is the restauranteur's irresponsibility to make sure their customers are served properly, that the food is good, and that the environment is appropriate. If the restauranteur stops paying attention, it's not up to me to make sure the new customers enjoy themselves, no matter how much I like the place and would like to see it continue to operate successfully so that I can continue to enjoy my time there.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg