AwakenedLands Forums
do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Printable Version

+- AwakenedLands Forums (http://forums.awakenedlands.com)
+-- Forum: Awakened Lands - General (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? (/thread-8155.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Conrad1103 - 2009.Jul.27 07:37 PM

(2009.Jul.27 07:17 PM)zenith Wrote:  So when that player you hit 5 times in 15 minutes stims out each time and starts smacking all your friends... what's the solution then? You can't attack him.

yeah, i thougth about that. make it online hosps....and....if he hits you back within 24h...it starts over.....and...if he hits your gang member within timeframe...it starts over.....and screw it.....make it 7.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - zenith - 2009.Jul.27 07:46 PM

I try to avoid hard caps on most actions, instead I favor the "diminishing returns" theory. While work/study "hours" are capped, that's merely because it would feel weird to study a skill 81 hours in a day.

Let's try an example of how it could be an issue...

Player A can only be hospitalized by player B. In the entire game, only 3 or so other players can handle this player as well, and none are friends. Player A is a loner, and has no gang. Player B has a gang of 15 players, all easy prey to player A.

Player A starts being a jerk, and player B hosps him 5 times. Player A immediately stims each time. Player A then keeps player B's gang in the hospital all day, since he has 75 attacks to burn on his nemesis' friends. Cap busted.

As it is now, if you try to hosp someone the opponent gets a boost to defense. You can attempt to hosp as much as you want, but each one gets a bit harder. If that person decides to attack anyone else, their little boost gets weaker until it is gone. If they decide to not attack anyone else, you will eventually not be able to hurt them. If you are MUCH stronger than them, they will be more vulnerable for a longer time.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Thor - 2009.Jul.27 08:31 PM

(2009.Jul.27 07:46 PM)zenith Wrote:  I try to avoid hard caps on most actions, instead I favor the "diminishing returns" theory. While work/study "hours" are capped, that's merely because it would feel weird to study a skill 81 hours in a day.

Let's try an example of how it could be an issue...

Player A can only be hospitalized by player B. In the entire game, only 3 or so other players can handle this player as well, and none are friends. Player A is a loner, and has no gang. Player B has a gang of 15 players, all easy prey to player A.

Player A starts being a jerk, and player B hosps him 5 times. Player A immediately stims each time. Player A then keeps player B's gang in the hospital all day, since he has 75 attacks to burn on his nemesis' friends. Cap busted.

As it is now, if you try to hosp someone the opponent gets a boost to defense. You can attempt to hosp as much as you want, but each one gets a bit harder. If that person decides to attack anyone else, their little boost gets weaker until it is gone. If they decide to not attack anyone else, you will eventually not be able to hurt them. If you are MUCH stronger than them, they will be more vulnerable for a longer time.

Does that mean that if I try to hosp a weaker player who usually does 0-500 damage to me in normal fights, he will still do that same damage or so but it will be harder/longer for me to beat him?

i.e. I'll go straight to the point, does that mean that if I try to hosp WilliamR, he will NOT beat the crap out of me in 26 rounds, with 2 crits in the 900 this time?

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - zenith - 2009.Jul.27 08:40 PM

(2009.Jul.27 08:31 PM)Thor Wrote:  Does that mean that if I try to hosp a weaker player who usually does 0-500 damage to me in normal fights, he will still do that same damage or so but it will be harder/longer for me to beat him?

i.e. I'll go straight to the point, does that mean that if I try to hosp WilliamR, he will NOT beat the drek out of me in 26 rounds, with 2 crits in the 900 this time?

I'm a tad puzzled here. Let's assume two things...

You have not attacked anyone for 24 hours.
Your opponent has not attacked anyone for 24 hours.

Now you pick the hosp option. Your results will be EXACTLY as they were before the attack code change spanning several months back. I don't recall such a big gripe about this part of the code before the latest code change. In fact, I don't recall the last time I changed that portion of the code, but it's been there a long time.

Nothing about that part of the code has changed. The only change is when you are attacking the same opponent multiple times. Then it catches up to you. The question is, when does it catch up to you? It's different for every opponent.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - TommiTheTaco - 2009.Jul.27 08:43 PM

Basically like they're learning you. If they're only getting fought by you, they'll learn your moves. When they fight others while fighting you, they'll get a little more rusty of what you might do.

Kind of the groove, I think.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Thor - 2009.Jul.27 08:48 PM

(2009.Jul.27 08:40 PM)zenith Wrote:  I'm a tad puzzled here. Let's assume two things...

This said player, last time I was paid to hosp him, the results were, to say the least, extremely surprising and delirious.

When I attack WilliamR, even if its not often, he usually does (or did since I havent attacked him since that happened) 200-600 damage, rarely did he even do 1k damage with a leave option.

I tried to hosp him 3 times in 1 night, the first time he won, which surprised me quite a bit, the other 2 times, well, it was 2 very embarrassing losses in very few rounds... Thats what I mean by boosting just defense or also offense.

Quote:09.July.22 -- Decreased the bonus to attack for opponents who are hospitalized multiple times by the same attacker. This part of the code was merely to make their resistance go up, not their attack power.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - zenith - 2009.Jul.27 10:09 PM

(2009.Jul.27 08:48 PM)Thor Wrote:  
Quote:09.July.22 -- Decreased the bonus to attack for opponents who are hospitalized multiple times by the same attacker. This part of the code was merely to make their resistance go up, not their attack power.

Completely different portion of the code. Only pops up when there are multiple attacks on the same target, AND that target hasn't attacked a bunch of others during the same time span. I'm not that much of an airhead to forget when I changed THAT.

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Howl - 2009.Jul.27 10:18 PM

(2009.Jul.27 08:48 PM)Thor Wrote:  This said player, last time I was paid to hosp him, the results were, to say the least, extremely surprising and delirious.

When I attack WilliamR, even if its not often, he usually does (or did since I havent attacked him since that happened) 200-600 damage, rarely did he even do 1k damage with a leave option.

I tried to hosp him 3 times in 1 night, the first time he won, which surprised me quite a bit, the other 2 times, well, it was 2 very embarrassing losses in very few rounds... Thats what I mean by boosting just defense or also offense.

Welcome to my world Thor... I still havent figured out how someone who isnt even close to me in POI can hand me my ass in one fight let alone multiples...

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - Brugada - 2009.Jul.27 10:39 PM

Basically, most of you high level players cant flex your muscles anymore?Smirk

RE: do you think that AL people really need so much protection? - LikeWhoa - 2009.Jul.27 11:15 PM

do we really do it that often?