AwakenedLands Forums
Combat Evasion - Printable Version

+- AwakenedLands Forums (http://forums.awakenedlands.com)
+-- Forum: Awakened Lands - General (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Combat Evasion (/thread-10245.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Combat Evasion - Duchbag69 - 2009.Dec.31 01:47 PM

(2009.Dec.31 01:38 PM)infinite93 Wrote:  I have a feeling it works more like this...

Based on a standard rpg model, there are 3 obvious steps to combat ... Ignoring all the other factors and just looking at skills..

1. Did it hit? In this case it is weap skill vs evasion
2. Was it critical? Weap skill vs Crit resistance
3. How much damage? Weap skill vs armor handling.

So since the weapon skill is used 3 times in the process, you would effectively need all 3 of the defensive skills to 'cancel' 1 weapon skill. This is probably the source of Zen's statement.

Of course, if you have only high evasion, you are banking on your ability to dodge the attack and the other 2 are not relevant since the attack didn't hit. Combine with a high dex and low encumbrance and stop buying nimbus.

High Crit resistance means you don't mind getting hit or taking the damage as much, but you want to stave off those 'randomlands' moments where a sweet crit takes you out.--your fights will be more predictable and stat driven.

Armor handling is the 'bangnapi defense'. Hit me all day long, you will just never do enough damage, fast enough to kill me before the cops come, either on normal or crit attacks. Add nice armor, awesome resistance and a belt and you are the immovable object.

All 3 strategies are valid and depend on how you want to play your game. If you want to directly 'cancel' the offensive, train all 3, but you will be working hard for it. If you want the customizable experience we all asked for, choose your strategy and gain an advantage in a specific aspect of combat.

Just my theory... I don't believe the 3:1 thing is a 'rule' as much as a simple analysis if how the combat seems to work.

---of course the time to get level 1 vs level 4 arguments are valid as well, I just thought I would bring some insight to the 3:1 thing.

i agree with this.

RE: Combat Evasion - 2asandab - 2009.Dec.31 02:01 PM

^^^ I agree too, ea skill impacts @ different points of the combat independently, @ least thats the way that makes the most sense, to me. Comes down to how you wanna build your guy.

RE: Combat Evasion - Chymere - 2009.Dec.31 02:03 PM

(2009.Dec.31 01:38 PM)infinite93 Wrote:  Of course, if you have only high evasion, you are banking on your ability to dodge the attack and the other 2 are not relevant since the attack didn't hit. Combine with a high dex and low encumbrance and stop buying nimbus.

Didn't quote the whole thing, but thanks for the info. This little snippet is what I'm doing. Low encumbrance (no armor), high dex, high combat evasion.

It's the Amazon principle. Concentrate on dodging/evading + high damage.

It's proving to be rather effective, I was wondering if anyone else was going this way.

RE: Combat Evasion - ClosedCasket - 2009.Dec.31 11:03 PM

I wonder which stats and skill set are most effective with specific weapon style?
Like dodging and ranged or melée and resistance?

Or are we all overanalyzing a game that is more random than complicated. I was discouraged with some of the game mechanics but I just keep imagining the possibilities,,,
w

RE: Combat Evasion - Punisher - 2010.Jan.01 12:15 AM

high hits are hard to dodge and deflect....anyone else notice this....im over 110 acc with armor and 8 shotty...but not even close in res....if you hit something hard enough it sure as hell hard to get back up

go high in your weapon stat and skill...defense is last imo here

RE: Combat Evasion - randomjacker - 2010.Jan.01 01:38 AM

(2010.Jan.01 12:15 AM)Punisher Wrote:  high hits are hard to dodge and deflect....anyone else notice this....im over 110 acc with armor and 8 shotty...but not even close in res....if you hit something hard enough it sure as hell hard to get back up

go high in your weapon stat and skill...defense is last imo here

this is how I deal with combat...

RE: Combat Evasion - TommiTheTaco - 2010.Jan.01 02:50 AM

I always found it kind of odd that resistance, though defensive, gave a slight boost to all of your other battle stats. Wish resistance was worth more towards defense, honestly. The only point to resistance is to get the newest armor...

RE: Combat Evasion - infinite93 - 2010.Jan.01 03:12 AM

Hit more often and hit hard. Definitely has been sound strategy and is the one I have been relying on as well.
My only argument is that if you are going to choose defense, pick one technique and complement it with other choices to make it more effective. Evasion, heavy armor(encumbrance) and resistance just don't work together, for example. If your are going to dodge, dex up and lighten the load. If you are going to be a tank, get handling and tank it up.

If you try to do everything at once, it isn't going to work unless you can get high enough in every category that it doesn't make a difference anyway.
(2010.Jan.01 02:50 AM)TommiTheTaco Wrote:  I always found it kind of odd that resistance, though defensive, gave a slight boost to all of your other battle stats. Wish resistance was worth more towards defense, honestly. The only point to resistance is to get the newest armor...

Tell that to anyone with less than 45 or so in their main battle stat who takes on bangnapi. Smile

The problem with resistance is that it is slower to work and there isn't a resistance based weapon. You have to work a different stat to get offensive abilities, and grind away with a 30% penalty on res to get the defense. I think this one of the reasons so few try it. You become stalemate bait, because your offense can't keep up if you are going to dedicate yourself to the tank route. The work to create a 100+ res character to compare against the 100+accy would be insane.

Dex is a whole different story. I have learned a lot of respect for Dex builds with low enc and dex based weapons. Slippery bastards are hard to hit and they hit back a lot.

RE: Combat Evasion - Howl - 2010.Jan.01 05:32 AM

(2010.Jan.01 03:12 AM)infinite93 Wrote:  Hit more often and hit hard. Definitely has been sound strategy and is the one I have been relying on as well.
My only argument is that if you are going to choose defense, pick one technique and complement it with other choices to make it more effective. Evasion, heavy armor(encumbrance) and resistance just don't work together, for example. If your are going to dodge, dex up and lighten the load. If you are going to be a tank, get handling and tank it up.

This is how I work as well. I've actually found that wearing a belt against certain persons is detrimental to obtaining a win against them. Which is a tad confusing in the long run. But weebs can always tell when I hit him wearing a belt b/c I almost always lose.

RE: Combat Evasion - Punisher - 2010.Jan.01 07:18 AM

yeah take one or two skills high if you can, but also work one main battle stat high too....res doesnt pay out against acc or str at all...if you figure its twice as hard to work a level 55 res should wax me or at least stale.....not even close

res is best for armor....and most of us high levels destroy the top res holders

btw...the 301 works with or without armor and is hugely strong for low levels....word to the smaller guys....get str up quick so you can wear one then concentrate on your battle stat for your weapon...that belt is awesome for newbs