Push notifications for smart phone
2011.Mar.11, 06:01 AM
Push notifications for smart phone
Ssia...

Reaganomics! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2011.Mar.13, 04:14 PM
RE: Push notifications for smart phone
Adding SMS texting functionality requires things beyond the scope of the server at the moment. However, email is already set up and functioning, so notifications via email would be a simple addition. Since I know some would rather get an SMS instead of a text, there are solutions. Many cell providers have email addresses for email-to-SMS functionality, and this type of notification would work if you can provide your phone's SMS email.

I know for Verizon, a cell number is simply your number plus area code @vtext.com (in the US). So your phones SMS email would be something like 5552346789@vtext.com without the leading 1. I'm not familiar with the other carriers however nor am I familiar with numbers outside the US, so perhaps others can add some additional details.

The questions are:
  1. Is email notification sufficient?
  2. What do you want to be notified about? Attacks? Game mail? Logins?
  3. How much information do you want in a notification?
  4. Should it be only available for players with donator days? (To eliminate notifying players no longer playing.)

Zenith [2]
Game Creator and Admin
2011.Mar.13, 04:59 PM
sorry zenith, but PUSH != SMS. Google it.

Help CrunchyBlack Here!!!!

Smoke dis, smoke dat, smoke weed, smoke crack
Everybody gettin' high, high off they fuckin' sac
2011.Mar.13, 05:39 PM
I found this.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/email-to-sms/

If we are going to get notifications, I would really only want to be notified about mails, gang mail or otherwise. And it should only be available to donators since they are already putting money in to the game and would probably want to be more connected to it.

That's what she said
2011.Mar.13, 10:01 PM
(2011.Mar.13 04:14 PM)zenith Wrote:  Adding SMS texting functionality requires things beyond the scope of the server at the moment. However, email is already set up and functioning, so notifications via email would be a simple addition. Since I know some would rather get an SMS instead of a text, there are solutions. Many cell providers have email addresses for email-to-SMS functionality, and this type of notification would work if you can provide your phone's SMS email.

I know for Verizon, a cell number is simply your number plus area code @vtext.com (in the US). So your phones SMS email would be something like 5552346789@vtext.com without the leading 1. I'm not familiar with the other carriers however nor am I familiar with numbers outside the US, so perhaps others can add some additional details.

The questions are:
  1. Is email notification sufficient?
  2. What do you want to be notified about? Attacks? Game mail? Logins?
  3. How much information do you want in a notification?
  4. Should it be only available for players with donator days? (To eliminate notifying players no longer playing.)

speaking of this, when is this new ajax heartbeat system coming out?

Now is the time for me to rise to my feet. Wipe your spit from my face. Wipe these tears from my eyes. Ive got to take my life back, one chance to make it right. Ive gotta have my voice be heard and bring meaning to this life.
2011.Mar.14, 05:57 AM
Zen I would want at least events pushed to me. When someone haas declared war on mt gang, when attacked, something bought off the item or credit market. Those things.
2011.Mar.14, 09:01 PM
We should be able to have a list of options that we can chose from or SMS.

2:28 pm icecoldchillin attacked you and lost. Delete
2:00 pm deadmanwalking attacked you and lost. Delete
2011.Mar.14, 11:31 PM
dont even need sms, just someone to code a little iPhone app and for it to be supported by zen.

Help CrunchyBlack Here!!!!

Smoke dis, smoke dat, smoke weed, smoke crack
Everybody gettin' high, high off they fuckin' sac
2011.Mar.15, 09:05 AM
(2011.Mar.14 11:31 PM)emocakes Wrote:  dont even need sms, just someone to code a little iPhone app and for it to be supported by zen.

Android would be better. There are more users on android and google makes the it free for developers to submit apps.
2011.Mar.15, 09:50 AM
(2011.Mar.15 09:05 AM)Joshiwa Wrote:  
(2011.Mar.14 11:31 PM)emocakes Wrote:  dont even need sms, just someone to code a little iPhone app and for it to be supported by zen.

Android would be better. There are more users on android and google makes the it free for developers to submit apps.

+1
Screw Apple.
This post was last modified: 2011.Mar.15 09:50 AM by bconrad56.

That's what she said