busting out
2007.Mar.08, 07:56 PM

oddjob Wrote:Everyone loves to bash the US, but please, do It with facts, not just based on fictitious sentiments, and conjured up absurdity.

Aye, I'll second that.
2007.Mar.08, 08:46 PM

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive. I was actually referring to federal tax brackets, which are generally higher in the united states. I have no clue about how high state taxes are in relation to provincial taxes.

sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize it would spark such a massive response, and btw, I wasn't bashing the united states. between the US and Canada there are many ways in wahich each is better than the other. there is no point in bashing the US.

I dunno if the other part of my sentence was misunderstood as well or not, but as for my comment on wait times, I was talking about Canadadian ER's, nothing to do with the US.

Everyone happy now?
2007.Mar.08, 08:51 PM

Ok, so I got a bit nervous after writing that so I looked it up.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals...tes-e.html

http://www.edwardjones.com/cgi/getHTML.c..._year.html
2007.Mar.08, 08:55 PM

hey, wait a sec.

Quote:In the US only those (Single or Married; Married couples filing separately is less) who make more then 340K /year (taxable) qualify for a larger federal rate than that of Canada.

Oh really? is that so?
pretty sure I can find another example of when US rate is higher.
2007.Mar.08, 09:05 PM

all that being said, I will concede that the US has many more deductions than we do in Canada. so the amount you end up paying after all is said and done in the same situation is rarely higher in the US.
2007.Mar.08, 09:14 PM

lets not forget what this thread is really for. my uber awesome idea.

:wink:

j/k, maybe we should avoid the Canadia vs US debate
2007.Mar.08, 09:18 PM

yes, that's right Canada, surrender Smile

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2007.Mar.08, 09:20 PM

**sends hockey sticks to help Canadia**

shhhhhhhhhh
2007.Mar.08, 09:28 PM

Yes, like I said, the richest of the rich pay much more in the US. Even moreso than any of the Canadian rates. However, even "modest" (by comparison) Canadian salaries fall into the top Canadian tax brackets. From your link the cutoff for the top bracket is only $120,887 (Canadian) or $102,447.62 American $.

someone making $102,447 would pay about 21-22% in the US. In Canada they are paying 29%. ( EDIT this 2nd statement is wrong. I should have picked a higher number. I will do so later if I get bored tomorrow.)

Only US salaries of 340+K (US dollars) qualify for the top tax bracket. To reach the top bracket in the US, you must earn 4x more than the base salary it would take to reach the top Canadian bracket.

90% of Americans pay less tax than they would if they lived in Canada. Yes, the wealthiest pay more.

(And note that Provincial Taxes are almost always higher than State income taxes as well)
2007.Mar.08, 09:42 PM

Quote:j/k, maybe we should avoid the Canadia vs US debate

yeah i can see the headlines now;

" Awakened Lands Debate Offends Bush, Threat Of Nuclear War "

lol