to melee or to ranged?
2006.Dec.27, 12:52 PM
to melee or to ranged?
how/what did do you decide when choosing between these two categories?
2006.Dec.27, 01:00 PM

Ranged all the way, certainly early on.

The reasoning is fairly simple- better gun=better damage. Better melee weapon=better damage.

On the surface- both are the same. But guns have a set damage rating, the only thing that then affects them is how often you hit with them- their set damage rating it WAY higher than melee weapons, and generally more consistent. If you train with guns, excluding stat requirements for the big ones of strength and endurance, the only stat you need to train for efficient usage is accuracy- train that high enough to hit regularly, and you're sorted. For melee though, you need to train accuracy to hit often enough, AND strength in order to do proper damage.

If you're prepared to sacrifice a chunk of accuracy to train strength, go for melee- but be warned, strength needs to be HIGH in order to outmatch guns- I'm guessing lv 16 strengthwould be absolute minimum to just break even with the AK. Until you're hitting the high character level 20's I'd stick with guns, personally.
2006.Dec.27, 10:45 PM

actually, pointy is oversimplifying things. but I agree that especially when you are lvl 25 and below using guns is better. accuracy helps with both melee and ranged attacks because you hit more often. however accuracy also increases the damage of ranged attacks where as strength increases the damage of melee attacks. strength seems to have more of an effect in this fashion which is the somewhat balancing factor. basically with ranged weapons accuracy is a doubly effective stat increasing the damage of your attacks and the hit percentage.
2006.Dec.28, 02:18 PM

thats all probably true...cept ive never seen a gun do 500 points damage Biggrin
2006.Dec.28, 02:45 PM

ya, but the strength you need for something like that only exists in very strength heavy lower levels, or relatively stat heavy upper levels, like yourself. so, in my opinion, while you are under level 25 (or so) guns do better for you. then once your gun damage is essentially topped out (AK-98 and a lot of accuracy) you may in fact see better combat results by switching to melee and training a bunch of strength. again, all this is just my opinion.
2006.Dec.28, 02:52 PM

im not argueing with ya.

however i bet a new player could do just as well in this game by training Dex and Strengh, instead of Acc and Dex.

Im begining to think Dex might affect melee hit rate, not accuracy.

all speculation on my part... but melee weps do have dex requirements, not acc.

before the T-250, melee weapons seemed to work better for me than ranged.
2006.Dec.28, 03:02 PM

Its been my belief that Acc and Dex pertains to guns, and Str and Dex pertained to melee. I'm under the belief that Dex effects ranged and melee weapons alike.
2006.Dec.28, 03:10 PM

well, no real way to prove whether or not someone starting out will do better with ranged or melee, just a matter of opinion.
2006.Dec.28, 03:51 PM

matt5250 Wrote:well, no real way to prove whether or not someone starting out will do better with ranged or melee, just a matter of opinion.

my point exactly Biggrin
2007.Feb.11, 07:32 AM

So in other words, don't equip the melee weapon, just equip the ranged one?

Are both weapons not used in an attack if both are equipped?

How does that work?