excessive moderation
2007.Dec.04, 07:09 AM
excessive moderation
I'll make this short and sweet.

While I do admit some forum topics deserve this treatment, the locking and deleting of threads is getting excessive. All it is doing is creating confusion/resentment and squashing debate.

that's it. I won't go into great detail this morning. Just seems half the topics don't deserve to be locked. A topic being redundant is not a good reason imo.
2007.Dec.04, 08:07 AM

While I'm not the first one to lock topics, I understand why it's being done and I support the moderators doing the work.

Some topics actually have decent point to start out with, a serious argument to debate or something along that route. The thing that gets them locked is when the debate or argument turns into rubbish and spam.

Think of this place if we never deleted topics that got derailed into just foolishness, most of the threads would become ruined, because the moderators wouldn't help clean up and stop nonsense from spreading.

But look at most of the threads that aren't locked, you have a really high threshold on language, how far you can pull jokes before moderators step in. Most of the fun you make we don't stop, but when it ruins the point of the thread we have to do something, or when persons get singled out and harassed.

So you got a choice really, do you want moderators to:

A: Delete off topic posts, and ask the moderators to be strict on that. This will in turn tick people off more and shout about moderator abuse, cause they feel treated unfairly. But more threads will stay unlocked, but the posts in question will be gone forever.

B: Lock the few threads that either starts with a serious stand point and ends in spam that's going nowhere or the few topics that just starts and ends with nonsense. Just take a good look at the threads being locked and think about why they were locked. If you can't see a good reason, try talking with a moderator and you may just get it opened again.

From the start this has been a fun and loose forum where even Zenith takes a part in the fun, and it has hardly ever needed to be moderated, with exceptions from disgruntled AL worshipers. And we are trying to make it stay that way, so for us to be lenient with you, you have to be lenient with us, and understand that sometimes we have to draw the line. And in return we realize that sometimes we draw the line at the wrong places and unlock things we have locked.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2007.Dec.04, 05:57 PM

I do see the need for locking some topics. But to use the link below as an example, I don't agree with locking threads because of a lag in constructive talk or a small debate that gets slightly heated. In the below example, it was locked before I could put some serious (non "spam") input into it.

http://www.awakenedlands.com/forums/view...php?t=3742

Maybe a resolution, move the threads that get out of hand into a new forum room, The Drek Room or something to that effect. Post a warning that "any individual personal attacks will be deleted" in that room.

And... a little mindless discussion keeps a slow thread active and makes sure it's seen by all.

I do recognize that I am part of the problem from time to time. My mouth gets me in trouble on AL.
2007.Dec.04, 06:40 PM

the forum was going nowhere at all. Ush at least closed it with why it was getting locked.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Honestly it looked like it was just becoming a wrant between two ppl. No sense in me even trying to read it any more and it's a wast of my time to come to the forums and see crap Smile

I agree with Dru in that if it were not for the mods doing this threads would get so derailed and off topic they would be pointless.
2007.Dec.04, 07:06 PM

I fully support other ideas out there, but when a thread is hijacked or there are personal attacks being made, then well.. it will be locked.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.
2007.Dec.04, 08:12 PM

I think a new forum called something along the lines of "No Holds Barred", "Spiels and Rants" or "Rated R" etc that would be completely unmoderated would be nice. Sometimes you just need to vent.
2007.Dec.04, 10:11 PM

Was going to comment but I figured, WHY BOTHER? I think this will suffice enough.
2007.Dec.05, 03:17 AM

That's why we have off the wall. Some of the hardest moderating we have done there is to remove the referral links lol.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2007.Dec.05, 04:19 AM

Off the wall is a great place to express an opinion on something.

If stupidity bothers you, click here for a solution.