Quick Q about resistance
2007.Apr.14, 12:16 AM
Quick Q about resistance
I'm getting curious on how exactly resistance affects the combat and damage received. I know it should, by definition, lower the damage you take but what I'd like to know is this.

If, for example, I have level 1 resistance and do a battle and see "Mr.X does 100 damage, you resist 5, you take 95 damage" and then I raise my resistance to level 2, will it say "Mr.X does 100 damage, you resist 10, you take 90 damage: or "Mr.X does 95 damage, you resist 5, you take 90 damage" ?

It doesn't really make any difference the way I put it but I saw some1 with "Chris does 134 damage, you resist 117, you take 17 damage" (forgot the exact numbers but I know it was over 100) but I don't remember ever resisting over 35 maybe 40 damage and my resistance is getting pretty high with those cyber upgrades.

Or am I completely wrong and resistance doesn't affect that part of the game and was wrongly named "resistance" ?
2007.Apr.14, 07:11 AM

I have noticed some very large amounts resisted. by amounts resisted I am talking the number deducted off the damage dealt. but only since starting to use the new armour, and only on occasion. hope that gives some insight.
2007.Apr.14, 09:43 AM

too give a more exact picture

accuracy increases damage dealt with guns

resistance decreases damage taken

so higher accuracy = higher damage, but you need to be reminded that even gun damage have a damage cap that it can't exceed like 170avg damage and 600dmg critical hits for the T-450 f.ex.

resistance negotiates the opponents accuracy down, so avg damage gets lower and critical hits damage gets lower.

so to do maximum damage on guns, your accuracy has to be atleast 2-5 levels higher then the opponents resistance level. This is the reason why resistance trains slower, otherwise it would be overpowered.

This atleast my perception of resistance.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2007.Apr.14, 11:41 AM

It does help understand but does it mean that (speculating here) if I get my resistance to lvl 30, it would only reduce the damage taken from guys (with 30 acc) with a t-450 by 10-20%?

Does it work the same for melee weapons?
2007.Apr.14, 04:22 PM

Now that I think of it, does this mean that having a 20 resist rating means absolutely nothing if some1 with 25+ acc attacks me?
2007.Apr.14, 04:34 PM

I don't think that is the case theodin. I'm not sure which number resi affects in the combat log but I believe it is probably a continous scale for damage reduction. more res = less damage.
2007.Apr.14, 06:11 PM

more res = less damage, but opponent can also get more accuracy to counteract the resistance to continue doing damage.

but I think that once you have a certain limit of resistance you will always have a chance at resisting good even tho opponent has really high accuracy. Cause of the new combat code that allows more variables to make combat more of a chance game.

otherwise one could just train up resistance to level 25 and never get injured.

Key to success: "Dress everyday like you're gonna get murdered in those clothes.
2007.Apr.14, 06:18 PM

obviously, what I meant is that if your opponent has high enough accuracy, it wont get to the point where 18 res is the same as 25 res. no matter how high the opponents accuracy 25 res will always be better than 18.