Recent events have me thinking
2006.Aug.24, 11:15 AM

Quote:23.August.06 - 11:14:59 pm Zenith [2] Difficult Decisions
I know you most likely will be extremely unhappy with our decision concerning your gift from a quitting player. This was not an easy decision, one of which we spent a long time on and looked at many possible alternatives.

The $15,357,044 you received from Casanova today must be returned. It would be unfair to allow this transaction to take place and then penalize all future occurences. We have retroactively given benefits to players who had been hit with a game bug or unforseen issue in the past, and now it is with regret we must rule retroactively against unearned gains.

Since our game is still in beta, these unfortunate decisions must be made for the longterm benefit to our community. While it might seem unfair to you to have to return your gift, we have deemed it was a precedent ruling that was too important to not act quickly on.

So on behalf of the Awakened Lands braintrust, both myself and Err, we have decided the $15,357,044 you received must be returned to Casanova.

Sincerely,

Zenith
Awakened Lands Creator and Admin

This is what I got from Zenith. Quite professional and to the point, but not explaining why this gift harms the community, while other large gifts (100K and over) are not affected. It is that I am looking for.

Quote:I don't care who is on top of the list for wealth. Big deal. I am actually on the side of Lostangel and DreadPiratePinky in this situation. But come on, Zen's given us credit for stuff "retroactively" (um, look at the class gains), now you guys are threatening legal action because she made you give back something that you didn't earn to the original owner?

A retroactive bug fix (some players had gotten the correct values, some had not) is NOT the same as this situation. And I will point out (for the second time) that I am NOT threatening legal action. I quite specifically spelled out that I am NOT litigous I am pointing out that in a public game, legal action COULD happen, and that should be a part of their thought process.

Quote:If you look at Zen's post about why they came to their decision it seems as if it had nothing to do with "destabilizing the economy". Why you harp about this one subject is beyond me.[quote]

It was a term used in this thread (although I can not verify that at the moment of writing this. It might have been in an email I received.). I will use the benefit of the community term going forward, as that was the reason given to me. I would like an explanation from Zenith how this decision benefits the community. The way I see it (and likely biased view it is) is that the rule was created to hurt two players in a specific situation. Rule 10 is completely un-enforceable, given the existing rules in the game. There is no way TO retire. Casa can come back today, tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. The only way for him to "retire, is for Zenith to delete his account, or to change his password, unless new code gets put in place allowing a player to retire themselves (chuckles at the thought of the suicide thread about attacking Chris).

[quote]Zen has always had rules for us to follow, and the biggest rule was the rules are subject to change without notice. I guess this is just one of those situations, even though I think it's drek.

A game has rule to give form to the game. We all follow the rules or we will be banned. If the rule was to give the T350s back to Zenith, which is just as arbatrary (in my fairly upset state of mind right now), would that be good for the game? Players should be penalized for doing something that is either against the rules, or (possibly) against the spirit of the rules. This was neither. And I did not fight the ruling, as I gave back my money last night as soon as I saw Zenith's email. I believe the rule to be a detriment to the game, and I believe that it is specifically targeting one player unfairly.

Quote:Us "elders" as you like to call it don't all share the same brain. Some of us are on your side. But Zen and Err decided this was best for the game in the long run, so begrudgeonly accept it and move on. There are a lot of games like this one out there, but I doubt you will find one run as well as this. I know in some of the other games if you pulled this drek you'd be fed jailed.

I do (and did) accept the ruling. I DON'T accept the rule. Zenith only owns the hardware and software for the game. The players own the game. Zenith is only the keeper of it. I am trying to get Zenith to change the rule and change it to something that affects everyone equally, and doesn't unfairly target one player who payed (donated) a lot of money to make this game better.
I appreciate the chance to have an open forum for the reasonable discussion about the differences in opinion. I have not (intentionally) attacked anyone. I HAVE lumped the people who are at the top of the game together, and stereosyping all of them together was maybe not my best idea. I appologise for that.
All I want is an explanation from Zenith on how the transfer hurt the game. What I hope for is for the ruling to be reversed, for the good of the game...

Messages In This Thread
Recent events have me thinking - Sam I Am - 2006.Aug.23, 03:49 PM
[] - Naught - 2006.Aug.23, 03:57 PM
[] - Inferno - 2006.Aug.23, 04:03 PM
Re: Recent events have me thinking - Chris Mangano - 2006.Aug.23, 04:06 PM
[] - Lostangel - 2006.Aug.23, 04:44 PM
[] - zenith - 2006.Aug.23, 04:45 PM
[] - Chris Mangano - 2006.Aug.23, 04:56 PM
[] - Lostangel - 2006.Aug.23, 05:47 PM
[] - zenith - 2006.Aug.23, 05:54 PM
[] - Sam I Am - 2006.Aug.23, 06:35 PM
[] - Naught - 2006.Aug.23, 06:45 PM