AwakenedLands Forums
Grammar - Printable Version

+- AwakenedLands Forums (http://forums.awakenedlands.com)
+-- Forum: Game & Forum Assistance (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Game & Forum Suggestions (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Grammar (/thread-15207.html)

Pages: 1 2

Grammar - chaosprime - 2011.May.14 10:19 PM

This is a text-based game. It is made of words. Could we possibly, then, have the words used correctly?

For both of the meth lab crimes, the success message is "Result: You manage to have all the right ingredients except one, but you manage to fudge it to work. You make a stash of meth and find a pusher to sell em for you. He buys them off you for $XXXX."

"Sell em"? So, like, I have five meth and I need to sell 'em? Um, no. That should be "find a pusher to sell it". "Meth" is not a plural, it is a collective; you have "some meth", not "several meth". Not only is this illiterate, it isn't even fancy illiterate, it's street illiterate.

And yes, it bothers me. I have solemnly pledged that I will not donate another red cent to this game (and I've donated plenty) for as long as I continue to be ignored about this and the TEN SECONDS it would take to correct the issue remain uninvested.

[Image: gZzrQ.jpg]

RE: Grammar - Batman - 2011.May.15 12:23 AM

Dude...you are okay???

I wanna say to you...can't smoke your weed and post on forum, it's a sofa king bad idea.

RE: Grammar - HeadBustin - 2011.May.15 10:49 AM

you donate? lol

RE: Grammar - TommiTheTaco - 2011.May.15 04:13 PM

I suggest the word 'Douchebag' be filtered to say ChaosPrime. Would be a legit cause.

RE: Grammar - bebopcrew420 - 2011.May.15 04:24 PM

christ

RE: Grammar - Accipender - 2011.May.15 07:35 PM

Ahem.

(2011.May.14 10:19 PM)chaosprime Wrote:  This is a text-based game. It is made of words. Could we possibly, then, have the words used correctly?

For both of the meth lab crimes, the success message is "Result: You manage to have all the right ingredients except one, but you manage to fudge it to work. You make a stash of meth and find a pusher to sell em for you. He buys them off you for $XXXX."

"Sell em"? So, like, I have five meth, and I need to sell 'em? Um, no. That should be "find a pusher to sell it". "Meth" is not a plural; it is a collective; you have "some meth", not "several meth". Not only is this illiterate, it isn't even fancy illiterate; it's street illiterate.

And, yes, it bothers me. I have solemnly pledged that I will not donate another red cent to this game (and I've donated plenty) for as long as I continue to be ignored about this, and the TEN SECONDS it would take to correct the issue remain uninvested.

[Image: gZzrQ.jpg]

For a self-styled grammarnazi, you certainly managed to mangle the language quite a few times, and in a rant ABOUT grammar of all places. I have to admit: your grammar IS quite good, relative to the norm, but it still leaves much to be desired if you are to seriously (read: not hypocritically) criticise another's grammar.

Sincerely,
the TRUE forum Grammarnazi.

RE: Grammar - Howl - 2011.May.15 10:42 PM

Also instead of picking on something she intentionally chose to sound the way it does y don't u go thru all her item descriptions and pick on the ones she actually fudged up? Rolleyes

RE: Grammar - spacebird - 2011.May.16 11:09 AM

"toni decided to smoke some shards of meth before his rabbit hunting excursion."

seems to work as a plural. he didn't smoke only one shard of methamphetamine, he crushed them up and smoked numerous bowls so that he could hunt for rabbits all night long. i can see why you would say that selling "them" doesn't work, but i believe it does just fine. think of it as you are cutting the meth into baggies of 1oz portions, you would sell your dealer 10 bags of meth @ 1oz per bag. therefore, you are selling "them" to your dealer so that your dealer can get them into the right hands to be smoked, ingested, or sniffed.

RE: Grammar - Dingus - 2011.May.16 11:43 AM

I stayed awake for 2 years on said "shards"

This was an FYI moment brought to you by masengill

RE: Grammar - GlennQuagmire - 2011.May.16 02:52 PM

(2011.May.16 11:09 AM)Troopermccue Wrote:  "toni decided to smoke some shards of meth before his rabbit hunting excursion."

seems to work as a plural. he didn't smoke only one shard of methamphetamine, he crushed them up and smoked numerous bowls so that he could hunt for rabbits all night long. i can see why you would say that selling "them" doesn't work, but i believe it does just fine. think of it as you are cutting the meth into baggies of 1oz portions, you would sell your dealer 10 bags of meth @ 1oz per bag. therefore, you are selling "them" to your dealer so that your dealer can get them into the right hands to be smoked, ingested, or sniffed.

toni or tommi?