AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: Welcoming new members and referrals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems to me that more and more of my referrals are logging in once and never playing again. It strikes me as we introduce more and more elements to the game that on first impression it can seem either too slow or too complicated. Seems to me the more we can ease players into the game the more likely they are to stick around. I recently started another online RPG, (a bit of a TW clone) and that had a very clear and straightforward tutorial broken into parts with rewards for completing each part. Is this something we think could be implemented here? would it help retain referrals?

For example.

Welcome to AL etc.

Explanation of energy.
Go to the gym, train. Congrats you earn 10 dev points as a reward
Attack someone and win. Congrats you earn 10 exp as a reward

Explanation of action points.
Commit a crime. Congrats you earn $?? as a reward
Bust someone out of Jail. Congrats you earn 10 exp as a reward

Explanation of careers.
Get a career. Congrats you earn ?? CPS as a reward

Explanation of skills.
Start a skill. Congrats you earn ??% as a reward

Explanation of school
Start a class. Make PE40 free.

+ others, once all complete reward them with some donator time.

I know this would require coding in but I think it would help retention of new people and at least keep them on long enough to give us chance to mail them. If we miss our referral signing in once and not coming back then we miss our chance to talk to them and help them.

Alternatively make it so that the first page they see is popt's tutorial.

One other idea would be to speed up the time for refreshes for new people so over the first 5 levels it slightly decrease until normal. That way a new person wont log in. spend all their energy and APs, get bored, not wait 30 mins for a refresh and never come back.

Pixelle

Great idea... I also lured a few to the game, but they didnt stick it out long after donator status ran out... because they were not properly hooked yet. =/
+1 i think it's a great idea and needed, the game takes a few days to grow on some people.

TheGeek

I like this idea. Additionally perhaps there could be somekind of tie into the forums as well, for me I view the drama in the forums as a simple extension of the game itself and just as exciting. Perhaps an "Introductions" section could be created and new players awarded for posting their bio or a greeting.

Getting to know people is an important part of AL and the forums are the best way to do it.
For every new account, a helpful automatic email sent to the new player's AL mail account will benefit them in many ways.

I like Morarity's idea. A quick run down of what is what, how and where is something that we need.

Honestly, sometime, my friend asked me... what is this game you are playing.. just a bunch of text and look boring. I am sure this same thought will run through many new player's mind as well.

Definitely something to be considered..

buuddha

i definitely think something like that needs to be implemented.

people log on and see that you click a few buttons then leave. they dont have time to find the finer aspects of this game.
i also think that it would be great to see an email automatically sent from the referer to the new member. get them talking to people.
Reference URL's