AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: Cybernetic Thoughts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can add stats to yourself by replacing your body part. Well, perhaps there could be something to add stats(Possibly change your added stat(s)) without the need to deduct a bunch of humanity from your persona. Perhaps like a car chip implanted in the brain.

Of course, it would cost lots of money, but it would only be placed under the skull where it would send controlled jolts into your persona and make them respond better, depending on your stats. More muscle control for strength and dexterity, better reflexes for dexterity and resistance and accuracy(hand-eye coordination), 'tunnel vision' for accuracy.

The adjusting stats thing could be done through the same process, but take time like any other kind of surgery.

I just thought of this, and it is not conducted too horribly well, but I think I got the basic out-line of my idea down. Go ahead and leave some opinions on if you like this idea or not.
There is need of a downside to those.

I'd suggest something, like Tommi said, that gives a bonus to a skill, let's say +2, no humanity loss, but makes you loose 1 elsewhere.

This way, you get a bonus, but got to pick the right other stat to take down. More precision in the builds. I'd suggest an intelligence drop, or endurance. But it would be equipable, like gear.

ArmorOfGod

how about negative endurance modifiers????

I think cyberware is cool but I can't afford it,,,plus I heard that it is garbage mostly,,,,

Does it help??? anyone have them?
at your level implants are crap
but for higher levels it's worth the investment
after a certain point your happiness refreashes faster than your energy and than you can afford to get the implants
also i don't think end and intel should be affected by anything

Chymere

Would be nice. Once you've figured out your build you realize you either had something implanted you didn't need - or you over-trained stats/skills that were mostly useless.

Even just being able to remove borgs would be great. Medic career ability soon?

ArmorOfGod - don't get implants before your happiness refreshes faster than your energy. It'll impair your training more than the +1 would help you.
This is for Zen,
(I know she's a chummer)
and the few others who are familiar with Shadowrun,

But this is the idea of cyberware vs. bioware.

additions that don't reduce humanity,
at the end of the day...,
a lot of these changes/additons to game rules get thrown out by Game Masters,
because, at the end of the day, while really cool ideas, really frag with balancing issues.

A game like awakenedlands,
Zen has to walk a thin line,
and I think does it very very well,
of incorporating new, fun, progressive content,
without causing an imbalance between different player models,

(ie, donators v. non-donators, rich high level players, vs. newbs, etc)
and I think a stat mod addition that just requires money, without some other kind of trade-off that affects all members of all echelons of the community, would be an imbalance that I feel she's trying to avoid.
*Not trying to put words in Zen's mouth, just an observation*

Money is easy to come by for older, more experienced, higher lvl players, and an addition to stats just requiring cash, and not some other form of trade-off, is something that I think would schew things in the favor of the already powerful established players, and alienate the younger newer members of the community, which is something I believe she conciously tries to take into account, and monitor.
And to dumb it down for the less endowed people of the gaming community?

Never said to take away the 'Removal of humanity' theory completely. Said this is a means of making it lower, and more versatile, while taking the adjusted cost out of your wallet.

If you're complaining about the cyberware making the old players more powerful now, where were you a long time ago when it started? It would of been an advantage to the older and richer than the younger and poorer then, too.
Not complaining at all,

cyberware as a system works great because it requires a tradeoff of something that everyone has and gains equally.

I was just talking about how I think that Zen makes efforts to keep the game relatively balanced for all players, whether lvl 1 or 100, for a lot of game mechanics, while still providing enough rewards and incentives to make leveling, gaining stats etc worth it as you grow.

Purely an observation based on what I've seen,
the skills system for example, implemented the way it was,
(and talked about by Zen on some necro thread, [Thor'd])
where she talked about how it was an addition to the game that would put everyone on the same level field at day one of its implementation, whether newbie or vet. (as opposed to other suggestions, such as expanding additional school classes or other things, that were discussed, and got a lot of flak from whiners, saying the ideas were disproportionately advantageous to more experienced players)

I personally would love love love a stat raising mechanism that didn't require a humanity loss, or more options for increasing costs, with a lowered humanity loss punishment,
and would also really, really, really love to see this implemented before I die:

"Medical training teaches how to heal wounds, ***remove unwanted cyberware***, and shorten hospital stays when experienced. It also provides great Intelligence training."

::sigh::

I like the idea,
I was just saying that I think that from observations I've made of game additions/changes in the 560 or so odd days of my AL life, it seems that things are thouroughly planned and thought out with the idea of balancing first in mind.
Reference URL's