AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: Travel time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Lostangel

To help prevent stalking of one player by another, maybe Z can add travel time to the game, so that you can't immediately go from zone to zone.
Having majored in Cartography (Map making) with emphasis in Urban Planning, I usually think about stuff like this.
There are three ways I though about how this would work.
1) If I was designing the game, each zone would have a location, and travel time between zones would depend on the zone you are in and the zone you are going to. For example, Midlands might be close to Rural, meaning a 2 minute trip, but farther away from Industrial, which might be a 5 minute trip. Downtown might be 3 minutes from Industrial, 2 minutes from Midlands and 6 minutes from Rural.
2) You could have a flat travel time between zones
3) You can have zone travel times be based on minimum level to enter zone, so Midlands takes longer than Rural.

matt5250

I have had this thought myself in the past. you could also offer multiple ways to travel, some faster and more expesive than others. for people who don't play much, there would be a cheap, slow way to travel. for those who play often, a quicker way with prices simlar to the current ones.

oddjob

ooohhh. i like this idea for the added realism implications alot lostangel. traveling becomes a much bigger decision. you cant just immediatly start shopping attacking people in the new district.

and while the removal of the locations of non-alies from the uses list was great, this would even add to that. hunting for a particular target in a gang war would require even more patience. not to mention that a weak gang member could spend thier time on the lam, hopping between locales in an effort not to get sniped.

as far of the multiple ideas for travel, ive had the idea ever since people started talking about the addition of purshaceable items or upgrades that there could be upgrades for travel. i.e. you shell out $500,000 on a whip, and then you could travel for free (or a reduced cost if the gas prices in AL are anything like thy are here)

but adding a time element could also enhance that. a bike could allow travel at 3/4 the amount of time as public transportation, car 1/2, helicopter 1/4, teleportation device Razz ....u get the idea

ok real silly now how bout time machines that let u whoop on people where they used to be Razz

Chris Mangano

I like this idea. But my favorite part of your post was that you majored in Cartagrophy with a minor in Urban Planning. That is sweet.

Lostangel

Technically it was a minor in Histor with an emphasis in Urban Planning. Which basically means that I took a couple extra Urban Geography classes in place of general electives.

Lostangel

In the continuation of the hijacking of perfectly decent threads, one of the concepts I learned about was Peak Land Value Intersection, where the highest land values are in an urban area. My study group came up with hand motions for each of the words, and a couple of the people actually did the motions during the test. I was really funny, as it happened to be the first defination on the test to see 4-5 people doing these motions at the same time...

TheGeek

You could also add a large energy cost with travelling to prevent players from zone skipping to track down players. This would give players that were already in the zone the first strike chance because the travelling player would need to wait for a refresh or two before they could attack. Realistically, travelling is generally tiresome, and I know if I was expecting a "visitor" i'd be setting up to spring a trap on him once he arrived.

LordSkie

Oh, I LIKE that idea a lot... travelling costing energy would be a great idea, logical too- it'd be tiring. You could still integrate that into the mapping of areas too.

A possibility would be areas either costing money or energy- the logic being you pay for transportation, or you travel solo at the cost of energy.

The idea of it taking time to travel between areas is a great one though, which could open the door for purchasing vehicles too. You could buy a bike or car, with faster models being (obviously) more expensive, but cutting time down drastically- they would also negate costs for travelling between areas. Possibly a nominal car tax/insurance could be taken out each day, relatively minor though.

If theft from players becomes an option, car theft could be fun... but the thief would (IMO) have to remain anonymous. But you could have a detective skill which allows you to find out who stole something from you, possibly based on intelligence- then once you've found out- they're gonna regret the day they were born...

TheGeek

Hehe, i've seen so many great ideas on the forums, particularly in the last week or so. Zenith and Err are gonna be tired!!

Chris Mangano

Lostangel Wrote:Technically it was a minor in Histor with an emphasis in Urban Planning. Which basically means that I took a couple extra Urban Geography classes in place of general electives.

Seriously, this is just getting better. Urban Geography...nice.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's