AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: cipher/snorkel/zen..can we get an update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i know people in this game that are on the verge of quiting bc of the lack of updates and additions to the game.

can you please let us know what, if anything, is on the horizon to improve / add to the entertainment value of the game?

rough timetables are welcome.

please keep the, "tell them to quit, the game is what it is", comments to a minimum and mods, please edit to keep only substantive comments here.

id prefer to only hear from snorkel and/or zen.

thanks.
(2011.Dec.20 08:21 PM)Conrad1103 Wrote: [ -> ]i know people in this game that are on the verge of quiting bc of the lack of updates and additions to the game.

can you please let us know what, if anything, is on the horizon to improve / add to the entertainment value of the game?

please keep the, "tell them to quit, the game is what it is", comments to a minimum and mods, please edit to keep only substantive comments here.

thanks.

I second this.

EDIT: Shouldn't it be cipher?
(2011.Dec.18 04:36 AM)Ushanewnewba Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta have an ADMIN and a CODER. Feel bad for Cipher having to play both. Must be rough. Cipher you're doing one heck of a job. Just wish Zen was here while you code your face off.

+1

Try to remember he has a regular job and a personal life. His work is because he loves this game.
(2011.Dec.20 08:21 PM)Conrad1103 Wrote: [ -> ]i know people in this game that are on the verge of quiting bc of the lack of updates and additions to the game.

thanks.

i agree with all you say. just want to point out that you could just mail them if you only want them to respond though.
(2011.Dec.21 01:41 AM)GlennQuagmire Wrote: [ -> ]

thanks.

i agree with all you say. just want to point out that you could just mail them if you only want them to respond though.
Why mail them? Surely everyone playing agrees how stale it has become, and would like an update.

Good thread Conrad.
cipher or snorkelbill, I'll respond to either, I know who he's talking to.

I have to agree, I'm disappointed with how little new code I've gotten to write recently as well.

I have spent way too much time investigating and answering "I/a gang mate did something in game that pissed someone off, and I/we are now getting hosped for it. Please intervene and make it stop" mails, running down scammers/multis, etc.

I had no idea how much behind-the-scenes stuff goes on. This is not an excuse, just letting you know where my time has gone.

I still have a short list of little things I want to get done. There have been some great suggestions that I have received in email recently. Without looking at my list, the first couple that spring to mind are: confirmation when sending money to someone (like the sending equipment confirmation), putting the name of the person who declared a gang war into the gang events. The XP logs still need to be finished, and now that I'm collecting all the data the way I want, will be soon.

The next big project that I have been working on in my head, but haven't started coding is a complete re-work of the crime system. Some of this won't apply to older players, as you will be past the first part of the code, but the rest will. Some teasers:
  • Crimes will be unlocked as you progress, not just a big huge dump of "ok, you're level 5, here's all the crimes in the game.", you will need to succeed at some crimes to open up others.
  • Right now, there is a max cap on how much you can earn per crime, and I'd like to change that so that the better you get at the crime, the more you earn, I checked before I stopped playing, and I had been doing the same crime (and really, only that crime) for 2 years, and got the same basic amount for it on the last time I performed it as the first time.
  • I want crimes to take into account all of your skills, stats and schooling. If a skill, stat or class could reasonably be deemed to have an influence on your chance of success, I want to count it. i.e. Electronics skill and a surveillance or maybe advanced safe cracking crime.

There are more nuances, but I don't want to give everything away. The last bullet point also should help explain why I haven't put any new classes in yet. I don't want to add a class that takes forever to complete, but doesn't help with this scheme.

Timelines are incredibly difficult to pin down, as I've had less time to code than I ever though possible. I put in between two and five hours a night on the game, it's just all gone into admin stuff.

The little things that I mentioned up top I hope to have done today or tomorrow, as I'm on winter break with my son, but my first priority right now is getting the Thanksgiving contest winners their prizes. I had a last minute change request, and want to make sure it fits OK.
(2011.Dec.21 08:11 AM)cipher Wrote: [ -> ]cipher or snorkelbill, I'll respond to either, I know who he's talking to.

I have to agree, I'm disappointed with how little new code I've gotten to write recently as well.

I have spent way too much time investigating and answering "I/a gang mate did something in game that pissed someone off, and I/we are now getting hosped for it. Please intervene and make it stop" mails, running down scammers/multis, etc.

I had no idea how much behind-the-scenes stuff goes on. This is not an excuse, just letting you know where my time has gone.

I still have a short list of little things I want to get done. There have been some great suggestions that I have received in email recently. Without looking at my list, the first couple that spring to mind are: confirmation when sending money to someone (like the sending equipment confirmation), putting the name of the person who declared a gang war into the gang events. The XP logs still need to be finished, and now that I'm collecting all the data the way I want, will be soon.

The next big project that I have been working on in my head, but haven't started coding is a complete re-work of the crime system. Some of this won't apply to older players, as you will be past the first part of the code, but the rest will. Some teasers:
  • Crimes will be unlocked as you progress, not just a big huge dump of "ok, you're level 5, here's all the crimes in the game.", you will need to succeed at some crimes to open up others.
  • Right now, there is a max cap on how much you can earn per crime, and I'd like to change that so that the better you get at the crime, the more you earn, I checked before I stopped playing, and I had been doing the same crime (and really, only that crime) for 2 years, and got the same basic amount for it on the last time I performed it as the first time.
  • I want crimes to take into account all of your skills, stats and schooling. If a skill, stat or class could reasonably be deemed to have an influence on your chance of success, I want to count it. i.e. Electronics skill and a surveillance or maybe advanced safe cracking crime.

There are more nuances, but I don't want to give everything away. The last bullet point also should help explain why I haven't put any new classes in yet. I don't want to add a class that takes forever to complete, but doesn't help with this scheme.

Timelines are incredibly difficult to pin down, as I've had less time to code than I ever though possible. I put in between two and five hours a night on the game, it's just all gone into admin stuff.

The little things that I mentioned up top I hope to have done today or tomorrow, as I'm on winter break with my son, but my first priority right now is getting the Thanksgiving contest winners their prizes. I had a last minute change request, and want to make sure it fits OK.

How about two bank accounts?
(2011.Dec.21 08:42 AM)deathishere Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011.Dec.21 08:11 AM)cipher Wrote: [ -> ]...

How about two bank accounts?

Yep, that's on the list too. I just didn't have it handy when replying.
(2011.Dec.21 08:11 AM)cipher Wrote: [ -> ]I have spent way too much time investigating and answering "I/a gang mate did something in game that pissed someone off, and I/we are now getting hosped for it. Please intervene and make it stop" mails, running down scammers/multis, etc.

Mistakes happen people getting hosp is a whole another thing. If isn't a mistake just them to bugger off.
Snorkel I'm still stoked that you took the admin/coder job and things are looking up. That being said it's two completely different jobs. Games been/is in the mess it is because only one person at a time is trying to do it. Zen recruited from within our community and found you. Why can't more help be found the same way?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's