AwakenedLands Forums

Full Version: Skills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When skills were first released weapons were very thin on the ground and a lot of players made a stab in the dark in the hope they picked the right path. Now we have weapons coming out of our ears, every path is catered for.

What got me thinking was when Zen was talking having a rebirth system, which would be a total restart of your character. For some players who have been here for years thats a bit daunting.

What I was thinking is a rebuy on trained skills. Each rebuy would cost you 20% of the total trained skills. I.E you have a level 10 in one skill if you rebuy the new skill would now be level 8, the other two skill levels are the cost to retrain. This would also stop it being abused.

If this works it could be added to other parts to the game, that way it gives the player a level of control over their character to fix things that at the time looked like a good move but now years down the line you wished you did something different.

Its a very long term game we play and people get locked in one path because they have spent so long on that path, they dont want to have to spend the same time again to make a change.
In some ways I like it. I don't know if I will ever rebirth but if I did I think I'd want to pick a different weapon. Would my skill lvl cross over to a different weapon at 80%?

If this works for skills I think it should also go for career.
(2010.Jul.02 06:05 AM)Joshiwa Wrote: [ -> ]In some ways I like it. I don't know if I will ever rebirth but if I did I think I'd want to pick a different weapon. Would my skill lvl cross over to a different weapon at 80%?

If this works for skills I think it should also go for career.

this
Thats why i said if it works could be added to other parts of the game, career been the next big one.

Yes like i said, you have level 10 in shotgun you rebuy to learn short blade with will now be level 8. As you lost 20% of your trained skills to relearn the new one.
Take my case then for example -- how would this play out...

rank 5 in short blade, rank 3 in shotgun.
If i wanted to convert my 5 short blade skills into shotgun skills, i would lose 20% (1 rank), so 3 + 4 = rank 7?
(2010.Jul.02 08:36 AM)InPaceRequiscat Wrote: [ -> ]Take my case then for example -- how would this play out...

rank 5 in short blade, rank 3 in shotgun.
If i wanted to convert my 5 short blade skills into shotgun skills, i would lose 20% (1 rank), so 3 + 4 = rank 7?

No... this math does not work since it takes more to get 4-5-6 shotty. It would be 80% of what was put into short blade, and applied to shotty...
surely you wouldnt be able to go above the level that you were giving up, so in paces example you would end up with 5 shotgun.

I often wonder if I should have gone a different route on weapon, but as I have developed my stats to match the weapon usage I have then personally I would never swap. I dont think anyone has been forced into a weapon route personally, it didnt happen overnight.
(2010.Jul.02 09:08 AM)Moriarty Wrote: [ -> ]surely you wouldnt be able to go above the level that you were giving up, so in paces example you would end up with 5 shotgun.

I often wonder if I should have gone a different route on weapon, but as I have developed my stats to match the weapon usage I have then personally I would never swap. I dont think anyone has been forced into a weapon route personally, it didnt happen overnight.

Perhaps bad advice led some down the wrong path... but honestly, it is your choice! Live with it....

Just like borgs!
It would be 20% of the total trained skills points. As we cant see the full break down of the numbers its hard to give an example, but if you rebuy skills to add them to a skill that you already have a few levels in its going to add 80% of the old skill points to the new one. I used the example of a trained skill to an untrained skill to keep it simple.

No one was forced but when they came about there was not the diversity of weapons on the table we have now.

Borgs were always a no return investment, it said clearly on the page to buy them. Skills have been kept open, there was the promise of adding more etc.

There is always talk about how people are finding the game stale, leaving gangs because they are bored with the game and want to try something different. People have asked Zen about restarting there characters because of mistakes they made or things they have learnt they wish they had of knowing at the start. This is were she got the rebirth idea from.

This is a way to mix it up, add a bit of variety to peoples game and put a level of control over your character that has been asked for many times.
This is a long shot, but I'm sure this idea was brought up in the past....
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's